Job hunting

Associate
Is anyone else looking for work at the moment and finding it incredibly frustrating? I'm a graduate and have been promised the earth by the Uni and the government but atm I'm not even getting news back from applications let alone interviews! :(

Associate
OP
I recently got kicked back from one place for being overqualified for a 1stline support job... I've got 12months as a Uni work placement but I don't have enough experience for second line? How can I win?:p

I've rang a few places back and they've said basically that the position had been filled. I swear I'm on about 10 recruitment websites.

Associate
OP
Did you build up any contacts while in university? Networking seems to be the way into the job 80% of the time..

I've had a ring around various people and had some good leads but most dont tend to pan out. Loads of places are tightening the purse strings but I'm 'on the list when we start recruiting again'.

Go for any role in the field you're interested in, try not to be picky about pay, obviously don't sell yourself short, but you may have to set aside some ideas about jumping into a great job/salary straight after Uni. Once you've got a couple of years experience in the field you're persuing then things should be easier.
I'm working in Asda atm which has been part time for 7 years+. Been applying for all tech support jobs I've come across. It's just so frustrating, cant even get interviews for the jobs I don't want! Don't suppose anyone has vacancies going where they work? ;):p

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice, I find it amazing that someone who want to work for a living can't seem to get a job for love nor money atm. It might be easier on the dole :p (not that I would) but you can see why people might.

Back
Top Bottom