Job offer - sounding a bit suspicious

Soldato
So I registered myself on some random job site a while back when I had a few cold one's in me and forgot all about it. The I get a missed call from a company and email today. Now this seems a rather nice opportunity (If I lived in England, but what do you make of it?). The subject line in the email states 'contract'.

Hi

Hope you are well.

Are you available for work at the moment,

I have a field based role available in London and South east.

It is a 6-8 week contract with possible extension.

The daily pay rate is £130 per day and 25p per mile.

Is this something you will be interested in?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks

Name removed
IT Resourcer

£130 per day? How does this work? If you lived in the London or South East area would you go for this?

I probably would, hence my post :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I might end up troubleshooting a computerised ordering system that is intended for Chinese restaurants here guys (in London) lol! I had no idea contracting can get this sort of $$. I'm in the wrong job!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have never looked at any sort of IT contracting work before. That sort of money is decent and something I would be willing to pursue. Given the area however it would not be feasible. London is mental money as we all know :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why not follow up and find out more?

I think I will. My background is in this sort of thing having worked for Hp for 10 years but had to train and start doing a different job having been made redundant. I want to get back to doing what I enjoy and it would appear there are more opportunities in England than I will ever see here (unless Belfast).

Soldato
OP
It's really not decent.

Assuming 230 working days a year it works out to under £30K. This particular role mentions 6-8 weeks work so if you're looking at contracts for this length of time you'll be on the bench for fair portions on time so you probably won't work this number of days a year.

You will get no benefits, pension, healthcare and that sort of stuff usually amounts to a few £k per year and if it's central London you can get first line support roles that pay £20k.

For a contract to be worthwhile the rule of thumb I use these days is that it needs to pay more in 150 working days than the equivalent permanent role pays in annual salary (and this is contracts that are advertised as 6-12 months of work)

This role would then equate to a permanent role of £19.5k.

Thanks for your input. When you put it like that I realise it's not such a good offer.

Soldato
OP
Reply to the email requesting further information

MW

I think I will. It's a little too vague for my liking and hence my post. Thanks for all the comments guys :)

Has given me a lot to think about as I'm ****** off with my current job. Dealing with mortgages and people in arrears is not something I set out to do in life and I want to get back on track :)

Back
Top Bottom