Jobs - A little bit about what you do and perks

Soldato
Right every few weeks I see a lot of people on here saying they don't know what to do with their lives or what direction to take so I am starting this thread for members to write down what they do, the company they work for and a little bit of information about their job, most of the threads in the past have included money which you get people BS'in about and trying to willy wave with no information about what they actually do.

Ok Ill start:

Job

I am a Structural Design Engineer

Company

I work for a company called Saipem (www.saipem.eni.it) which is the construction contractor of Eni (www.Eni.it), it is an Italian based construction company who mainly deals with the oil and gas trade but does work outside of this when they see fit.

Day to day

At the moment I am assigned to a project which is laying a pipeline from Spain to Algeria for a 3rd party company called MedGaz, the team I am working with is responsible for all of the prelay survey, installation of cable crossings at a depth of 2000m and also the post lay trenching using a system called Beluga (24" Pipe).

This means I have to produce ancillary structures for winches, contingency structures incase anything goes wrong, access platforms for Beluga (60Te piece of kit) also over see other engineers who we have doing other pieces of kit, I am one of two permanent structural engineers on this project so my responsibility is quite high on it.

Overall Job

My work can see me travel to some 'lovely' places but it is always to work, so far in the past year I have been to Egypt, Malta, Cyprus and Almeria, it can see me working on very different projects as we deal mainly with subsea problems it is normally ROV based or if it is shallow Diver based.

Perks

As staff I have quite a few perks at this company, Health Care, Dental Care, Life Insurance, Gym Membership, and Pension etc.

The other big perk is the traveling I get to go to places not many people would think of, we have a few large projects starting in Russia and the Caspian (big one in Russia is Nord Stream) which will see me add up more miles.

Downsides

Traveling, as much as I love going to the new places it is always through loads of different airports and stop over’s, flying into places for stops with just a bag and 24hr travel arrangements.

24hr job, you can be called anytime of day to go anywhere to work, you are really at the disposable of the project.

Education?

I did my degree in Aerospace Engineering at Manchester Uni, I was doing my MSc in Mechnical Engineering at Newcastle Uni when i was offered this job so I took it as I wasn't enjoying the MSc.

Do you like your job?

Yup I love it.

Right that’s mine, you can use the same template if you want or make your own, hopefully this will get some good responses and not the typical "I work in a bar, I get paid crap for serving drinks" but actual jobs with career progression.

KaHn

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Excuse me?
That is my perks. I give myself what i want as long as it betters me and / or lowers my corporation tax bill.

So where is the little bit about what you do? I don't care that you are contract, you seem to think that it's the only thing in your life, every post you seem to make is about how contractors make so much money.

Why don't you actually sit down and tell people how you got to be contractor and what you do?

KaHn

Soldato
OP
I am actually quite impressed with the amount of people who like their jobs, I keep seeing people saying they hate their jobs/boss etc.

Maybe they just don't want to post?

KaHn

Soldato
OP
DID NOBODY ELSE NOTICE THIS?? :eek:

:D

Yes but like most we chose to ignore it.

I know it was someone on OCUK, odds are it was you!

http://www.risktec.co.uk/

I'm Warrington based but we have offices all over the world, personally i'm working on a QRA for an onshore gas condensate field in Kazakhstan through KPO, Fire fighting guides for two platforms (Lun-A & Molikpaq) and an HSEMS case for OMV down in london for the whole OMV worldwide group.

Fantastic Job, great future prospects love every minute of it.

Ah right I don't have much to do with the HSE side of it other than telling them that my design is right and giving them lots of numbers if they ask for it :)

Also in Warrington do you know someone called Rick Cooper? Went to Manchester Uni? (aged 24/25 now)

KaHn

Soldato
OP
I was recruited out of University by my boss at a Recruitment Fair I went to, we spoke about the work involved and interests etc and I was pretty much offered the job there and then, I came up to Aberdeen for a formal interview and was told that this was just to show you around and tick the boxes.

Why I moved into Oil and Gas? The money is a lot better than Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering jobs.

KaHn

Soldato
OP
You work in oil, thought you hung around dunstable area :p

I might be interested in getting into oil eventually, but then again there could be engineering opportunities in Dubai once chartered and suitably experienced.

Oil does seem great, especially after one of the guys on here posted about it. £40k+ 2weeks on, 3 weeks off, ps2/sky/free food on the rig :D

Well it depends, 40k is quite low imo, I have posted what I earnt in my first year of work else where, but as a first yr grad eng I earnt 34k before tax, that has went up some since being here and also the game of Oil and Gas is to move contract, which will be around 350-400 per day after another 2 years which goes up with experience, some of the structural engineers here are on around 6-700 a day, that is for a 7.5hr day and does not include offshore rates etc.

But money is only relevant if you enjoy your job, I am lucky that I do.

Also Dunstable Area? wtf :confused:

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Nice work
icon14.gif

Is it more of a management role or a traditional engineering role?

I'm the snr structural engineer on this, basically all the reports, drawings and fabrication stuff are in my name :)

Theres a project manager who deals with the managerial roll stuff and schedule.

Don't mess this one up :p

I know one of the BP guys working on this too, although hes off to Korea soon

Ah going to visit the FPSO? If hes based in Aberdeen he might be in my building, either that or up at dyce.

KaHn

Back
Top Bottom