Jonsplus Bo 100 mini itx build

Associate
I've done it yet again.. gone down the route of mini itx and probably will regret it like last time.

Gone with the latest BO 100 case, b550i Asus Rog strix, 5800x, however need a buy a 3060ti Asus mini or xc gaming.

However was thinking if I could get a waterblock and then get a 3070 or above. Max GPU size is 208mm although there isn't much space for a radiator (only supports 1x 120mm fan..).

Any thoughts?? Cheers

Soldato
The smallest 3070 is 231.9 mm long so thats ruled out
That's including the cooler. Ampere's PCBs can be a good chunk shorter, especially the FEs. For instance, the EK Quantum 3070 FE block is 205mm including the terminal sticking out the end.

@smeemi
I think you'll struggle putting the GPU under water here. 120mm for the GPU and the CPU on air cooling? Probably OK for something like a 3060 Ti, assuming you can get blocks. From the product photos, my modding juices have started flowing a little and I reckon a 2nd 120mm rad could be added ;)

Associate
OP
That's including the cooler. Ampere's PCBs can be a good chunk shorter, especially the FEs. For instance, the EK Quantum 3070 FE block is 205mm including the terminal sticking out the end.

@smeemi
I think you'll struggle putting the GPU under water here. 120mm for the GPU and the CPU on air cooling? Probably OK for something like a 3060 Ti, assuming you can get blocks. From the product photos, my modding juices have started flowing a little and I reckon a 2nd 120mm rad could be added ;)

Yah, was thinking of the 3070 block, as its compatible with 3060ti too. Think ill go with 120mm for gpu and air cooling for cpu!

Soldato
To be honest, you're pushing it by cooling either one of those components on a single 120, let alone both of them. So if you have trouble sourcing a small GPU like the EVGA 3060 Ti, I'd only stick to watercooling the GPU on a single 120 and tune the clocks and voltages to bring the power down a little.

As to how to watercool it, you're going to have to have the case physically in front of you to work out what space you have. I got a bit carried away earlier and started having crazy thoughts about watercooling and modding the case so I can tell you right now there's nowhere for that EK res to fit. It's designed to attach to a 120mm fan mount, but you only have 1 of those in the case and it'll be used for the 120mm rad.

Pump options might be limited too. A traditional DDC footprint (including pump top) is 62x62x50 and I'm not entirely sure where that'd go, and definitely no space for a traditional tube res either. Alphacool have a range of server cooling products based around their tiny DC-LT pump which could be an option.

Honestly I'm thinking you should hold off on watercooling thoughts until it's 100% confirmed you can't get a GPU that'll fit. And now I'm going to torture myself staring at pictures of this case working out if I could actually mod it to do a full loop (hell, if I can get a full loop with GPU in an In Win Chopin (coming soon TM) I can do it with this :p )

Associate
OP
To be honest, you're pushing it by cooling either one of those components on a single 120, let alone both of them. So if you have trouble sourcing a small GPU like the EVGA 3060 Ti, I'd only stick to watercooling the GPU on a single 120 and tune the clocks and voltages to bring the power down a little.

As to how to watercool it, you're going to have to have the case physically in front of you to work out what space you have. I got a bit carried away earlier and started having crazy thoughts about watercooling and modding the case so I can tell you right now there's nowhere for that EK res to fit. It's designed to attach to a 120mm fan mount, but you only have 1 of those in the case and it'll be used for the 120mm rad.

Pump options might be limited too. A traditional DDC footprint (including pump top) is 62x62x50 and I'm not entirely sure where that'd go, and definitely no space for a traditional tube res either. Alphacool have a range of server cooling products based around their tiny DC-LT pump which could be an option.

Honestly I'm thinking you should hold off on watercooling thoughts until it's 100% confirmed you can't get a GPU that'll fit. And now I'm going to torture myself staring at pictures of this case working out if I could actually mod it to do a full loop (hell, if I can get a full loop with GPU in an In Win Chopin (coming soon TM) I can do it with this :p )

Thanks very much for this, really useful.

I managed to get an Asus dual mini OC 3060TI today :) so will be going down the fan route for GPU, not sure about cpu yet. Maybe a 120mm aio.. not sure!

Soldato
I don't think you'd ever get away with being able to cool a mini build with any cpu and 3xxx series cards. Too much heat any day.
Literally not true. There are many, many, many builds out there in small, nay, tiny cases that are housing 3080s, 69800XTs and even 3090s with CPUs all the way up to the 5950X. You just have to be very careful with your purchasing choices to make the most of the thermals.

Associate

Beautiful desk setup. I am used to my 34" ultrawide so your monitor looks tiny but darn that is all so neat, I really need to work on my cable management.

Sy-core I watched a vid for a Meshify case with 5950x and 3080 with just 240 watercooled loop. You can always turn the fans up and have a jet engine or let the Delta T rise and that increases your heat transfer all by itself , it will just mean the components run hotter and have less potential lifespan but everything is possible. Hell, for years Apple liked their CPUs to run at 100 C so why dont we all do that. No idea what the M1 macs run at these days because I just do not care.

Associate
Check out a youtube channel called optimum tech on YouTube he does lots itx builds and seems to find all sorts of parts you would never find yourself like a cpu block/pump combo with a fill port on it so you don't need a reservoir. A pump/res combo that attaches to what is normally the rear fan slot of a case, although I think that one is for a specific case.

Associate
Sy-core I watched a vid for a Meshify case with 5950x and 3080 with just 240 watercooled loop. You can always turn the fans up and have a jet engine or let the Delta T rise and that increases your heat transfer all by itself , it will just mean the components run hotter and have less potential lifespan but everything is possible. Hell, for years Apple liked their CPUs to run at 100 C so why dont we all do that. No idea what the M1 macs run at these days because I just do not care.

Naturally you can run them hotter, but in the summer heat are you really going to want to be pumping even more hot air into the room. I don't like my gpu going much more than 70-75c, scares the hell out of me. I don't know what people use their machines for, and well if i'm sat with the headphones on and my team mates can hear the gpu revving away or even the AIO fans, i'm just like this has to stop.

I am currently upgrading from a 2nd mini case, going from Xl, too large for me, to a nice Midi case. Lets see where this takes me.

Back
Top Bottom