JS Browser Detect 64bit

Soldato
Yes, I'm being lazy and asking if someone else has already done it so I don't have to :p.

Want to detect people who are using a 64bit browser. Doesn't matter whether it's Firefox/Chrome/IE in 64bit... just that it's 64bit. I'm going to stick a warning that their 64bit browser is unsupported etc etc and to use 32bit instead, but just guessing that I can't be the first person who wants to detect 64bit browsers and someone has written it already :p.

Don't know why a few people use 64bit browser and then moan that they have problems without thinking to try using the 32bit version first - Heck I've been using 64bit OS longer than most (since Windows XP x64, which made Vista look good :p) and on my Win7 machine still use IE10 BUT IN 32bit mode as nothing works in 64bit :p.
Heck, it's not even my site they have problems with, it's a link to content elsewhere that's not going to work with 64bit browsers.

Cheers,

Soldato
Have a look at the User Agent (can grab it via JS), you'll usually find that it states it there (certainly the case with IE).

No doubt there are plenty of jQuery plugins if you do a quick Google.

Associate
Is there really a reason why you are only supporting 32bit browsers? Safari on OSX is x64 by default, and Java is only supported on x64 browsers on OSX.

Telling users that they're using a x64 browser and they have to use x86 is just going to drive them away (if they even understand how to change it), and its not really future proof in the long run.

Associate
i would just have a warning besides the link stating "will/may not work on 64 bit versions"

search for browscap (afaik it is available for other languages as well as php). It is a class that lets you get USER data (browser, version etc )

Back
Top Bottom