Judge My Inadequacy

Soldato
Judge My Inadequacy (Urgent Help! Ordering Now!)

Hey fellas.
Tell me what you think to this spec, and if there's any way I can cut some money off. I've already got a 160gb Samsung Spinpoint IDE. I'll be adding Sata drives and a cpu cooler when I have the cash.

Spec:
ASUS A8R32-MVP - Deluxe CrossFire - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939 - Manchester Core - Retail
Sapphire Radeon X1900 XT PCI-E (x16) - Retail
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC4400 UltraX-TCCD CAS2.5
Hiper Type R 580W Modular - Black
Sony CRX320EE CDRW/DVD Combi Drive (Silver)
Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Silver Aluminium

Comes to about £910

Cheers,
Ant :cool:

Last edited:
Nice spec. Make sure you clock that CPU. To play new games 2GB is highly recommended, the Geil Value 2GB kit from what I've heard is great value for money. The NEC drives are also rated higher. Great choice of case!

Hey fellas.
I'm getting a G.Skill 2GB DDR HS PC3200 kit instead now, wise choise?

I was also thinking of getting a Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU instead, but I'm really not up to date on Power Supplies. Can anyone recommend a similiarly priced PSU that would comfortably feed the above specced rig?

I'd really like it to be modular too :)

Last edited:
G.Skill will be fine.

I'd suggest an Enermax, Antec or a Hiper in place of the X-Connect as I think that they are better PSUs. The Hiper is the cheapest of the lot and so compares most directly in price.

You'd be as well buying a DVDRW instead of a CDRW/DVD considering the price difference is negligible.

You could also save a lot of money on the motherboard by going for something like the Asus Nforce4 ultra at ~£70 unless you really want the Crossfire capable motherboard?

Yeah the CrossFire was chosen specifically so that in the future I'll be able to get another card when I need to upgrade. Thanks for the brands, I'll take a look now.

I've heard that the Hiper can overheat and cause a shutdown. Will this be likely with the specified rig? Also, what wattage will I be looking to get?

Last edited:
I wouldn't normally advise Crossfire as by the time you are ready to upgrade a newer faster single card will normally be out and single cards are less hassle but it is whatever suits you of course.

I hadn't heard of Hipers shutting down under load but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen just that I haven't been paying enough attention :) With the specified system anything around 450w ought to be sufficient, for Crossfire I'd be recommending 550w+, dual card systems also sometimes benefit from single rail PSUs as a split rail PSU can cause problems with overloading on one of the rails. If you are seriously thinking about Crossfire then you may also want to include Tagan in your group to look at because you can combine the rails on their PSUs or set it to autoswitch between single and dual rails.

Hiper and Tagan offer single rail, Enermax and Antec don't, there will be more options but those are amongst the most easily available.

semi-pro waster said:
I wouldn't normally advise Crossfire as by the time you are ready to upgrade a newer faster single card will normally be out and single cards are less hassle but it is whatever suits you of course.

I hadn't heard of Hipers shutting down under load but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen just that I haven't been paying enough attention :) With the specified system anything around 450w ought to be sufficient, for Crossfire I'd be recommending 550w+, dual card systems also sometimes benefit from single rail PSUs as a split rail PSU can cause problems with overloading on one of the rails. If you are seriously thinking about Crossfire then you may also want to include Tagan in your group to look at because you can combine the rails on their PSUs or set it to autoswitch between single and dual rails.

Hiper and Tagan offer single rail, Enermax and Antec don't, there will be more options but those are amongst the most easily available.

Cheers mate. The crossfire addition will probably a year plus into the future, and so I'll be getting either a new card, or one for Crossfire, I'd probably also be investing in a new PSU.

Cheers for the info, I'll be looking for around 450 then. I'll probably go for the Hiper unless anyone wants to scream 'NOOOO!' at me first.

I've just looked at the Enermax Liberty 400W Modular, it's very reasonably priced. But unless it's going to out-perform the Hiper Type R 580W Modular, I think I'll be going with Hiper.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

If you are happy to replace the PSU if/when it comes to Crossfire time then it is a decent PSU, if you'd prefer not to go changing PSUs at the same time then I wouldn't and 400w isn't a huge amount of power should you come to add any extra hard drives etc.

I guess basically what I am saying is that the Enermax would work just now but it is less than ideal should you start adding to its load :)

I'd probably recommend the Tagan 580w modular overall although it is overkill at present but for what you potentially want to do it is a good PSU.

semi-pro waster said:
If you are happy to replace the PSU if/when it comes to Crossfire time then it is a decent PSU, if you'd prefer not to go changing PSUs at the same time then I wouldn't and 400w isn't a huge amount of power should you come to add any extra hard drives etc.

I guess basically what I am saying is that the Enermax would work just now but it is less than ideal should you start adding to its load :)

I'd probably recommend the Tagan 580w modular overall although it is overkill at present but for what you potentially want to do it is a good PSU.

Okey dokes then. I'll be using the Hiper for the moment. If i have any problems then I'll just have to switch over.

I'm thinking about getting a 2Gb of Corsair twinX that's in the Deal of the Week section. It's CAS2, so I presume it'll run just as well as the G.Skill, with perhaps a little less OC potential?

Cheers,

i wanna see a spec thread named "please justify my childhood!" :D

seems ery nice, i would however, go for the enermax liberty psu and quite possibly the corsair, allough, im not shure how its clocking of late

Back
Top Bottom