just bought a iMac 2017 5k 27.5" what can i do with it

Associate
Not sure if this should be in the software forum or the hardware.

Anyway, i just bought one of these off an auction cheap, its an intel processor. It boots up fine and set up ok. Looks lovely. I just wanted to scratch my iMac itch really so got this one blind.

So, can i get a newer OS on there? Its running High Sierra at the moment and ive already noticed a couple of things with it. I tried setting up the Mail app with my Gmail account but it wouldnt let me, claiming some sort of security issue i think. I can still go through the web portal and Chrome works ok. Ive seen certain tools to get a newer OS on there but just wondering if it will be a similar thing to putting windows 11 on an unsupported machine and the worry it wont get updates in the future beacuse youve sort of "hacked" the system to get it to work.

I love the screen and am getting used to the interface now. I want to keep it , just want to bring it up to date a little.

loving it, its not really got the grunt to play games on. I need to put more memory in, only 8gigs at the moment, its creaking at the edges when i do some photo editing so it needs at least 16. But its great. A lot of assumptions i had about apple OS have been removed.

I did pop into the shop to see how much the newer models were but they dont do a 27" screen anymore? that was a little dissapointing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom