Just got a new motherboard

Soldato
Hey all

I've just bought the ASRock Dual SATA2, as a first step into upgrading my rig. My current PC is a XP3200 + X800. I'll be keeping the graphics and ram, and buying a new cpu.

I'm hopefully gonna have about £120 for a CPU. Basically I was looking at a Venice 3000+ for under £100. I was pretty sure I was going to go for it. Then I saw the Opteron 144 for £125. I was just wondering if anyone on here knows what FSB speeds I could expect out of the 2 CPUs mentioned as I plan to overclock. This would be with an Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

Cheers,
benjo

for fsb you will be limited by the motherboard, not the cpu. For that asrock its limited to ~277fsb with some bios's, but you can get round that. see the dual sata2 thread here for more info.

since the 144 is limited to a 9x multi, as is the 3000+ venice, you're gonna need some hefty fsb speeds to get that cpu up there. you'll need 277mhz for 2.5ghz, 300fsb for 2.7ghz and 333fsb for 3ghz.

The 144 has a good chance of reaching that, and has double the L2 cache so its the one to get. wait for it if you can. The 3000+ venice could clock anywhere from ~2.4ghz to ~2.8ghz. It's much mroe hit and miss with a venice.

Tbh, you've not chosen the best board for overclocking a cpu with a low multiplier, but you should still do pretty well. To close up, get the opteron.

Back
Top Bottom