Just had to reinstall my HP printer/scanner software on all my PCs

Soldato
I found that documents etc would not print unless I turned the printer / scanner on and off. Reinstalled the full HP printer / scanner software and now all seen OK. Some MS update must have interfered with the HP software! Bah! Anybody else found this - happened on Win 10 and Win 11?

Network connected via "Home Lan". Worked perfectly for "years" - then all 3 pcs of different vintages / MBs / CPUs (1 AMD / 2 intel) - 2 x Win 10, 1 X win 11 started misbeaving at the same time. No hardware changed.

Same driver - "the HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M477-PCL_6_v3_Full_Soln_22046.exe" from the HP site.

Start with empty print queue - printer just sat there - with print job queued. Nowt happens . . . . .

Uninstalled HP driver using HP driver software. Reinstalled driver using HP driver software.

Empty queue - turn printer off - turn printer on - starts printing. Possibly a spooler issue. still playing.

Seems obvious to me that MS caused this!!!! Win Updates are the only common change!

Last edited:
Still keeps happenning - says "Printer offline". An old B&W Printer HP 4050 is working perfectly! Always "Online" VERY annoying. Parallel network cable.

Last edited:
Can you ping the IP? Yes. Changed cables. still same - does not print. Just sits in queue!

Delete and manually recreate the print queue - Done this - the only things that work are to turn printer on and off OR reinstall printer driver. Convinced Windows is interfering with driver. Printing always works for old driver - HP4050 which is officially "obsolete".

Last edited:
Ahha!!
the printers are on different sorts of ports! old on TCIP, new one (with problems) WSD.

Here are comments (https://www.urtech.ca/2013/09/solve...-a-tcpip-printer-port-and-a-wsd-printer-port/)

- "TCP/IP is you telling your printer what to do. WSD is microsoft screwing things up when you didn’t ask them to" - more inverstigation required.

- The printer was installed as a network printer (i.e. not a shared printer). I could print to the printer, but the printed document would not be removed from the printer queue and the printer would hang until I manually deleted the document from the printer queue. It turns out, that when I added the new printer to my computer, the printer got configured with a WSD Printer Monitor port. (I did select “autodiscovery” when I added the new printer driver) When I change the printer configuration to use a TCP/IP Printer port, everything started working fine. That’s what lead me to ask the question what is a WSD Printer? and why would I want one? This article did a great job of explaining that.
HP LaserJet Pro m404n - on a small Windows-10 Pro (64-bit) peer network with AT&T Uverse fiber-broadband..
WSD not working 100% on some machines, including those running new v1903 upgrade.
Set fixed-IP address on HP (like my other wired printers).

Login to it’s IP from computer and Disable “Microsoft WSD Print” in Advanced Settings.
I left the other option: “Microsoft WS-Discovery” Enabled.
Reboot everything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom