Just joined and would like opinions on renovating a hallway in a 3 bed 1920's semi

Associate
Hi Overclockers!

I've decided to join the forums as everytime I'm googling for info on housey things, I find interesting threads on here, even though it started as a computer related discussion forum.

So, we're in desperate need of taking back to brick or hall and landing in our 1920's semi because the textured plaster walls have confirmed white asbestos in them (Chrysotile).

We've had 3 quotes back but only one company has said they can remove the affected plaster and for the hall landing and along the stairs it will be £1400 to go back to brick.

We now also have a builder wanting us to decide dates to start the work so I'm feeling pressure. Because of lockdown we will need to put up or tent in the garden to be well clear of the fall out from the plaster removal (they are using a 'wet' removal method for the asbestos top layer) but I was thinking I should pay for an air quality test after too? I have a 5 year old in the house and just don't want to take chances.

Our quote, once back to brick is £5000inc VAT for dot and dab plasterboarding and skimming, panelling to 1m high with MDF and installing storage under the stairs. New skirting of needed is extra, as is a new for to the understairs. Bricks need removing to move the understairs for too.

So £6.4k for the lot but we will probably also be wise to get updated electrics put in and some additional sockets plus Ethernet while the brick is exposed.

Has anyone had their hall etc renovated and can share any issues they ran into, also what it cost in the end roughly and could advise on whether we should use insulated plasterboard on the external North facing wall up the stairs?

I'll miss a solid rendered plaster wall but I've been told it will add a lot to the cost and dot and dab is better but we do have the last bits of period features which this work will probably distrupt like cornicing and a picture rail plus decorative plaster ceiling.

It's pretty scary for me this stuff as it's a lot of money and I know the builder needs an exact brief, as do we, to be sure of cost.

I'm upload pics after work.

Associate
Why remove it at all though?

"The presence of asbestos is not dangerous. If it is left alone — and not released into the air — asbestos-containing materials will not likely pose any health risks. Even if you have ceiling or floor tiles with asbestos, they won’t release fibers unless they are disturbed or damaged.

Asbestos becomes dangerous when it is “friable,” meaning it can easily crumble and release fibers into the air. For example, if your attic is older or in poor condition and you need to work in or repair it, it could potentially start releasing asbestos fibers that are dangerous to inhale."

My garage is made out of concrete asbestos, and so long as no one wants to start drilling holes or sawing it, it's perfectly safe!. You could even just skim the the top of it with plaster and seal it all in if you're worried.

Associate
OP
Why remove it at all though?

"The presence of asbestos is not dangerous. If it is left alone — and not released into the air — asbestos-containing materials will not likely pose any health risks. Even if you have ceiling or floor tiles with asbestos, they won’t release fibers unless they are disturbed or damaged.

Asbestos becomes dangerous when it is “friable,” meaning it can easily crumble and release fibers into the air. For example, if your attic is older or in poor condition and you need to work in or repair it, it could potentially start releasing asbestos fibers that are dangerous to inhale."

My garage is made out of concrete asbestos, and so long as no one wants to start drilling holes or sawing it, it's perfectly safe!. You could even just skim the the top of it with plaster and seal it all in if you're worried.

Initially I thought we could just bond and skim over it. However it is damaged and breaking up behind the hall radiator and debonded and spongey there too. Also the landing corners have vertical cracks from ceiling to bulkhead and around the skirting and beading of the wall outside our bedrooms.

Two asbestos 'experts' have been around. One to take samples and he didn't even put on a mask! The other says they will use a wet removal process to take it all off. Both said it is not as dangerous as made out because it is white asbestos (Chrysotile) not blue or brown.

Believe me, if I'd known it was as extensive as it is, I probably would have pulled out of the sale but having had s full building survey done, they only said to get the understairs ceiling tested for asbestos, not the hall and landing walls! It turned out that the understairs ceiling doesn't have asbestos!

Just been watching Hidden Killers on BBC iPlayer - The Edwardian era and it covers asbestos and is very scary!

Soldato
White asbestos is everywhere in homes of the not too distant past, during the 60,70,80 and even 90's it was used in nearly everything from plaster coatings (artex) to floor tiles and even bathroom fixtures and fittings. I doubt there is a house of that era without a single drop of White asbestos.

Its not something to be fearful of as long as its given the respect and correct treatment it needs.

Back
Top Bottom