• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just killed a 2500K..need a cheap replacement

Soldato
Besides I've just realised that EU law/UK law thing is irrelevant in this case as Intel provides a 3 year warranty on all it's products according to other competitor sites.
not OEM

also looking at the warranty page on intel it seems they don't deal with OEM chips, only retail chips, it says basicly if a fault happens with a OEM chip to contact the retailer.

Last edited:
Soldato
wont know untill you try, its dead anyway

Great advice, how is it working out for you in life?

There is no reason why baking a CPU would work, you might as well try and smash it over the wall to see if it will magically resurrect (worked for Nokia 3210, why wouldn't it work for a CPU??).

You only need to buy retail if you're going to be a tool and run stupid volts through your cpu tbh.

Except you might need the retail version if:

a) you overclock and are worried about degrading performance due to high temps/volts
b) you buy the chip for a home user who NEEDS longer warranty
c) you need the stock cooler
d) you care for resale value

TBH you don't know anything about CPUs if you think only running them with stupid volts can kill them.

What is wrong with people on this Forum lately? :confused:

No it's been in imposed for quite a while now he defiantly has two years under his consumer rights and as an educated guess the period of 1 year reflects the length of time OCUK will handle any warranty claims directly and after 1 year it goes through Intel direct.

Besides I've just realised that EU law/UK law thing is irrelevant in this case as Intel provides a 3 year warranty on all it's products according to other competitor sites.

Consumer law doesn't always apply, it's certainly dependent on a specific product plus there's the hassle of actually arguing your case, e.g. they might want a prove that you didn't damage the chip yourself.

Regardless, the 1 year warranty is carried out by the manufacturer, not the retailer, you only get a short-term standard warranty with the retailer and it's not 1 year.

Also, it's spelled definitely. Install a dictionary if you can't remember. :p

i think it's only for the EU law, not in UK law yet

i guess ocuk needs to come and clear this up

There's no such thing as "EU only law". We are a subject to EU consumer laws, whether British industries like it or not.

And I doubt OcUK will clear anything up in this case, they don't need to deal with warranties beyond a certain period of time.

The Sales of Goods Act isn't a thing I would rely on in case of a damaged CPU.

EDIT: I think I was wrong about OEM's warranty, apparently it's provided by the retailers.

Last edited:
Associate
You may well be able to argue for a replacement from Intel as the chip has failed within an unreasonable timeframe even if it is outside of the retailers warranty.

You did kinda complicate things though by posting a thread on the retailers own forum entitled 'Just killed a 2500K' :)

I suppose OEM items are a bit wierd though as you effectively enter into an agreement to purchase a reduced warranty item for a cost saving on purchase price. After 12 months the onus is on you to prove The goods failed through material defect and not by any action of yours, in this case such a claim would be fraudulent.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Haha, i'll look into the keyring idea.

For now though, you guys are free to judge me, because I'm typing this post from a machine running a Pentium :(

It's not as bad as I thought It was going to be, but lets just say I won't be breaking any Super PI records. :p

It seems to be slightly faster than my old C2D E8400 I had.

Last edited:
Associate
Just to clear up the law side of this thread, as there is quite a bit of conflicting advice.

The manufacturer's warranty from Intel is supplementary to your legal rights.
Your legal rights are with the retailer who you purchased the item from, NOT the manufacturer.

As to the degree of your legal rights:
In the EU it'd be upto 2 years, however the UK doesn't conform to this EU law as the UK's consumer protection laws (Sale of Goods Act + others) are considered to offer superior protection.

In the UK a product must be as described, of satisfactory quality and be fit for purpose.
A product that does not conform to these requirements is considered faulty.

For faulty items that have been accepted (which in this case they have been), you are eligible for a repair, replacement, or if neither of these is viable a partial (proportional) refund.

In England, Wales & N.I. these rights extend up to 6 years from the purchase date.
However the burden of proof is with the retailer for only the first 6 months; after this time you will need to be able to prove that the item failure was the retailer's fault not yours.
Though with something as complex as computer components a statement from the customer saying that they haven't misused the item should be sufficient proof that the fault was present at the point of sale.

In all honesty given the nature of what caused the OPs CPU failure I don't think the law entitles him to anything from the retailer.

Having said that, retailers often have unsellable customer returns lying around, that isn't fault, but also isn't worth their time reselling as refurbished.
Their customer services department will frequently ship out items from this stock to disgruntled customers as gestures of good will.

It can't hurt to ask!

Soldato
Just to clear up the law side of this thread, as there is quite a bit of conflicting advice.

The manufacturer's warranty from Intel is supplementary to your legal rights.
Your legal rights are with the retailer who you purchased the item from, NOT the manufacturer.

As to the degree of your legal rights:
In the EU it'd be upto 2 years, however the UK doesn't conform to this EU law as the UK's consumer protection laws (Sale of Goods Act + others) are considered to offer superior protection.

In the UK a product must be as described, of satisfactory quality and be fit for purpose.
A product that does not conform to these requirements is considered faulty.

For faulty items that have been accepted (which in this case they have been), you are eligible for a repair, replacement, or if neither of these is viable a partial (proportional) refund.

In England, Wales & N.I. these rights extend up to 6 years from the purchase date.
However the burden of proof is with the retailer for only the first 6 months; after this time you will need to be able to prove that the item failure was the retailer's fault not yours.
Though with something as complex as computer components a statement from the customer saying that they haven't misused the item should be sufficient proof that the fault was present at the point of sale.

In all honesty given the nature of what caused the OPs CPU failure I don't think the law entitles him to anything from the retailer.

Having said that, retailers often have unsellable customer returns lying around, that isn't fault, but also isn't worth their time reselling as refurbished.
Their customer services department will frequently ship out items from this stock to disgruntled customers as gestures of good will.

It can't hurt to ask!

This, I'd ask OC'uk and Intel. Even if you have to stretch the truth slightly with Intel it's worth a shot. Nothing to lose really :) I'm pretty sure if you say it's a little over a year old and it's dead someone will help you.. but I could be wrong.

Associate
Retail CPU for me, every time.

I'd rather take a genuine chance of a good overclock, rather than risk buying a CPU that may have been tested by the retailer and rejected for inclusion in one of their overclocked bundles.

I would think that's what retailers do - assemble pre-overclocked bundles with oem CPUs. I'm sure they get the odd "dud" chip, which gets put back in it's packaging and then sold to an oem buyer.

With a retail CPU you may get a cooling fan that you don't need, but at least the odds of a good overclock are likely to be slightly higher, not to mention a longer warranty.

Back
Top Bottom