Just ordered this woohoo

Associate
Good morning to all hope everyone is well. I previously posted about a 2k build for 1440p gaming of all types, thanks again for all the great advice! After a bit of budget creep this is what l ended up with:

• 1x Lian Li Lancool III Full Tower PC Case - Black
  • 1x AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Eight Core 4.9GHz (Socket AM5) Processor - Tray
  • 1x Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI (Socket AM5) DDR5 ATX Motherboard
  • 1x Corsair Vengeance EXPO 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-44800C36 5600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK32GX5M2B5600Z36)
  • 1x Aerocool Mirage L360 ARGB Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm
  • 1x Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XT Pulse 20GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
  • 1x Kolink Continuum 850W 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply
  • 1x WD Black SN770 2TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive (WDS200T3X0E)
  • 1x Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit DVD - OEM (KW9-00632)

Total cost: £2513

Opinions......grimace hehe
    I realise l have overspent on the motherboard and the extra cost could have got me a 7900XTX, but for me the future proofing of the motherboard and what it offers was quite important and the reality is that the 7900XT is overkill for 1440. As l say the name of the game for me was future proofing and hoping this PC will last me 5yrs....what do you think? So this meant a DDR5 system with PCIE5 slots for the M.2 and GPU.
    I ended up with the Saphire as at the last moment the 'build' 7900XT wasn't available even on pre-order, this added £100 to the cost which l wasn't happy with at the time but obviously Saphire is great quality so l sucked it up and ended up quite chuffed lol.
    At some point l will add another M.2 and maybe in the future get some higher speed RAM - but lets be honest l probably will never bother with the RAM!

One thing l wasn't sure about was the M.2 l have ordered tbh, l'm just not familiar with them and if this was the best option. I could still change it with a phonecall l guess if anybody has any recomendations that will add cost/value ratio to the system?

Tbh l'm pinching myself and very excited as l never dreamed l would have the pleasure of owning a PC like this :)

Thanks again to all! Kind regards

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Your welcome.

For an extra £10 you can get a 1000w psu with 10 year warranty and new ATX 3.0 standard it mite be worth enquiring.

Mickyflinn what a legend you are! Just off the phone and the PSU you recomended is now in the build plus the RAM is now same everything but 6000, thank you again l appreciate it :)

Associate
OP
Great result, post a pic when you get your pc.

Enjoy.
Small update.....l have upgraded to the Saphire 7900XTX Pulse, then to offset this l now am going with the Phanteks Eclipse P400 case so an overall cost of £92 to the champs at OC - silly not to in hindsight as l have also decided to give this PC a go using my 49" 4k tv. I realise this will only be at 60hz but we'll see how it go's before looking at monitors hehe. This is it now no more changes :cry:

Associate
OP
Ok

So 360mm cooler will now go in the front of the case as it won't fit at the top, hopefully they will move the front fans to the top and rear which I'm sure they will.
Ooooh l didnt think of that! Im just trying to think it through for the best cooling. So the cooler at the front as an intake and the fans at the top exhausting? Do you think the GPU will be ok like this? Is there another case l should be looking at..... thankyou!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Thanks again, l owe you a beer!
Just off the phone, mickyflinn 100% correct and the case has been changed so the build is final and as follows....

Phanteks Eclipse G360A + rear exhaust fan
Ryzen 7 7700X
Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI
Corsair Vengeance EXPO 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-44800C36 6000MHz
Aerocool Mirage L360 ARGB Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm
Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Pulse 24GB
WD Black SN770 2TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive
be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

Wow this is actually the PC of my dreams! I realise how lucky l am to be able to afford this especially in these times, at the same time no car l have ever owned has cost this much lol.
Thanks again and ill post some pics when it gets here in a few weeks :D

Associate
OP
Morning all! Just after a bit more advice please :)
The motherboard lve gone with in my build has Pcie5 for GPU and M.2, l selected this in the interests of future proofing. Im now thinking that l may be over egging it with this board and it may actually be a bit pointless given l wont be looking to upgrade for a few years, and l can save some money in the process.
Can anybody recomend an alternative, thank you!

Associate
OP

Flippin heck l just called after perusing the motherboards, also the RAM and case - turns out its just been built and with QC so thats brill and stops my constant tinkering lol, thanks again mickyflinn!
Should have it tomorrow or the day after :)

Associate
OP
So got the new PC and all good, noticed the cpu was sat at 4.4 the whole time. Ran cinebench and prime05 as advised by OC and still the same.....
Really dissapointed.....
When l enable core overclocking i the bios it just bluescreens.....
I think l have a bad chip but am so dissapointed because this stuff is supposed to be stress tested etc etc.....

Edited to ad that lm really annoyed that having paid 2.6k it isnt perfect...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I was using Cinebench and prime95, all results well below expected as advised by OC
As l said, soon as l enabled the boost the pc just blue screened and has never been above 4.4.
This is so poor l dont have the words for a 2.6K build........

Associate
OP
What are you using to check the clock speed? Ryzen CPUs don't necessarily report the clock correctly, depending on the software you're using.

Is your cinebench score vastly incorrect for your CPU?

What about 3D Mark cpu score?

I think the base speed for a 7700X is 4.5 Ghz, but I would be surprised if OCUK ship their PCs out configured to run at the base speed unless you told them to prioritise power/efficiency or use eco mode, or something like that.

Is precision boost 2 / PBO enabled, or disabled?
OC customer services said to try the Ryzen Master software in ther hope that somehow it would make everything ok..........

Associate
OP
The long and the short of it is that l should not be receiving complete build pc that has a defective component! That has be supposedly stress tested etc etc........This is why l pay the extra money for a professional build

Associate
OP
It may well not be defective though, that's my point. It could just be because of the way they configured the system and a few simple changes would get it operating more to your liking, but it's hard to say without more information what exactly is going on here. If the CPU is running at the base clock, then it's probably just a case of changing those settings, but if there's some other issue, then yeah, unfortunately there might be a defect somewhere.
THere is no way of looking at it tbh.....
The chip should be boosting to 5.8 min....not 4.4 flatlining.
As l said before l should not be receiving a pc in this state, l should not have to dig in and find work arounds etc. There is a reason l chose a 7700x ffs, seriously unimpressed. And even more so with the initial OC response.
So the way l see it is that rhere has been none of the correct steps being taken post build.
Tbh l think it incredibly poor, especially considering the build cost.

Associate
OP
I'm not aware of the 7700X reaching 5.8 Ghz, where did you see that?

In the reviews I've seen, it reaches a max of 5.55 Ghz. In techspot's review, they recorded (during Cinebench) an average clock speed (across all cores) of 5.19 Ghz, with a minimum of 4.4 and maximum of 5.55 (scroll down to "clock speeds", here).

According to AMD, the max boost clock is 5.4 Ghz, here.
So flatlining at 4.4 is ok?

Associate
OP
Possibly, it did report 4.4 Ghz in techspot's review, but like I said, it depends on exactly what's going on with the PC.

If you could let us know the score in something like cinebench or 3D Mark we can verify if the CPU is definitely flatlining across the entire benchmark, because the score will be way lower than it is supposed to be.

The way that Ryzen CPUs report their clock speeds doesn't match previous CPUs and it isn't 100% reliable, depending on the app you're using to monitor it.

If it is flatlining, then according to AMD's description of how the CPU boosts, it could be any of those things (e.g. cooling, motherboard, bios, who knows), which may or may not be something you can address.
But that doesnt explain the bsod when it is enabled in the bios,

Associate
OP
There are lots of posts about Asus motherboards pbo settings, enabled is to aggressive and should be set to auto , a bios update did fix some issues hence my question above.
Thanks for the advice folks, its been a busy weekend and not able to come back to it yet but ill have another look this afternoon and speak to OC and see what the score is - hopefully just some settings as you say!

Back
Top Bottom