"Just stop oil"

They are raising awareness they are generating noise and they are getting air time they otherwise wouldn’t that’s the entire point of disruptive protest. Just stop oil and extinction rebellion get air time they wouldn’t get in any other way that is the point of protest. Agree with them or not it is effective.

It's an effective way of letting people know they exist, I'm note sure it goes any further than that. As for as getting people sympathetic to their cause? I can't see it personally, in fact quite the opposite. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

It's not going to make a difference to people who are already doing their bit (other than inconveniencing them)

It's going to vindicate people who are already against their cause.

It's more likely to alienate people who are on the fence than get them on side - after all, who wants to be associated with **** like that?

Last edited:
Whilst I'm sure this isn't happening, if I were an oil company trying to be extra sneaky - I'd be quietly funding these idiots to go on their protests.....

It's an effective way of letting people know they exist, I'm note sure it goes any further than that. As for as getting people sympathetic to their cause? I can't see it personally, in fact quite the opposite. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

It's not going to make a difference to people who are already doing their bit (other than inconveniencing them)

It's going to vindicate people who are already against their cause.

It's more likely to alienate people who are on the fence than get them on side - after all, who wants to be associated with **** like that?
It puts them in the papers, on the news and all over social media suggest another way they could generate the huge amounts of air time without disruptive protest? There is no way they would get interviews on the big news outlets if they stood on the pavement handing out leaflets!

Jack is an angry man who needs to understand the law before he man handles people in the street, would be brilliant if he was charged with theft for pinching the banners!

Ironic that his ‘moment of fame’ (which he is clearly loving) in the daily mail that he is clearly loving has given the protesters exactly what they want ie media exposure!

Last edited:
It puts them in the papers, on the news and all over social media suggest another way they could generate the huge amounts of air time without disruptive protest? There is no way they would get interviews on the big news outlets if they stood on the pavement handing out leaflets!
If/when they make me miss a hospital appointment I will just think 'great, these ***** again'

Putin is also on the news and all over social media - I don't see people desperate to get behind him.

There is such a thing as bad publicity

Jack is an angry man who needs to understand the law before he man handles people in the street, would be brilliant if he was charged with theft for pinching the banners!

Ironic that his ‘moment of fame’ (which he is clearly loving) in the daily mail that he is clearly loving has given the protesters exactly what they want ie media exposure!

Nah they just crave 80 page threads and posts about them on OCUK.

There is no way they would get interviews on the big news outlets if they stood on the pavement handing out leaflets!
Thats one of the reasons that they really need to be a bit better when selecting who will do these interviews, I've seen a few decent interviewees but my god theres been a few that should never have been put on camera. That woman from a while back who just resorted to screeching and shouting all through the interview and that Phoebe girl, I'd never put those in front of the camera, does them no favours at all once they've got the platform.

Theres a guy with a beard, youngish fellow, he has done a couple of interviews where he has done very well indeed, kept his voice level, spoke calmly and rationally. They should use him and others of that ilk more. Much more effective on camera.

Whilst I'm sure this isn't happening, if I were an oil company trying to be extra sneaky - I'd be quietly funding these idiots to go on their protests.....

You mean a green energy company surely? Anyone would have to be really stupid to think this is good for oil companies.

Putin is also on the news and all over social media - I don't see people desperate to get behind him.

There is such a thing as bad publicity

Then you havent been in the Ukraine of Musk thread then. Plenty standing up for him.

Does everybody understand that we need to stop using oil? Or are people being that stupid that they dont?

I dont see how anyone can say this is bad publicity against the use of oil. Its illogical.

Last edited:
You mean a green energy company surely? Anyone would have to be really stupid to think this is good for oil companies.

Then you havent been in the Ukraine of Musk thread then. Plenty standing up for him.

Does everybody understand that we need to stop using oil? Or are people being that stupid that they dont?

I dont see how anyone can say this is bad publicity against the use of oil. Its illogical.

This is the thing though. Everyone who is campaigning for Stop Oil is probably a hypocrite when it comes to Stop Oil. Just look at Greta's carbon footprint as she flies all around the world with her team to tell us to fly less. Do you order things online and have them delivered to your door or shop locally? Do you own a car and if so what type and how many miles do you drive? All of these things increase the carbon footprint. How did the protestors get to their protest site? How did they travel. You get what I'm getting at.

This is the thing though. Everyone who is campaigning for Stop Oil is probably a hypocrite when it comes to Stop Oil. Just look at Greta's carbon footprint as she flies all around the world with her team to tell us to fly less. Do you order things online and have them delivered to your door or shop locally? Do you own a car and if so what type and how many miles do you drive? All of these things increase the carbon footprint. How did the protestors get to their protest site? How did they travel. You get what I'm getting at.

Greta doesn't fly around the World and her team is her Dad who she doesn't listen to.

Just stop oil are a bunch of elitist hypocritical spanners who do nothing for the cause of environmentalism. A tiny minority support them, the rest of us just think they're ***** at the extreme end of the virtue signaling spectrum. Which is all they're all about really. You'd have to be a bit naive to think otherwise.

edit: ooo, did'nt realise ****** was a swear word on here - it really was very mild, honest.

Last edited:
Thats one of the reasons that they really need to be a bit better when selecting who will do these interviews, I've seen a few decent interviewees but my god theres been a few that should never have been put on camera. That woman from a while back who just resorted to screeching and shouting all through the interview and that Phoebe girl, I'd never put those in front of the camera, does them no favours at all once they've got the platform.

Theres a guy with a beard, youngish fellow, he has done a couple of interviews where he has done very well indeed, kept his voice level, spoke calmly and rationally. They should use him and others of that ilk more. Much more effective on camera.
This I would definitely agree with their choice of spokespeople is at times baffling but it proves the power of the protest if it can give them a national platform.

Last edited:
Suggest another way they can gain massive media attention and exposure for a cause that successive governments have ignored for a generation now and don’t suggest the balance box in our broken democracy.
Do you think any of these people are now on their side?
''Essex Police claimed small businesses lost hundreds of thousands of pounds, including one that estimated losing up to £170,000 in earnings.
The force also referenced a heavily pregnant woman who needed urgent medical help; a child with additional needs who could not access medication and a person who missed a best friend's funeral.''

Do you think any of these people are now on their side?
''Essex Police claimed small businesses lost hundreds of thousands of pounds, including one that estimated losing up to £170,000 in earnings.
The force also referenced a heavily pregnant woman who needed urgent medical help; a child with additional needs who could not access medication and a person who missed a best friend's funeral.''
The protest isn’t to get people ‘onside’ they don’t want you to like them and join the protests they want the issues front page and all those things sad and distressing though they are do just that.

Once again suggest a form of protest that will give them the media platform they get currently?

The protest isn’t to get people ‘onside’ they don’t want you to like them and join the protests they want the issues front page and all those things sad and distressing though they are do just that.

Once again suggest a form of protest that will give them the media platform they get currently?
Why would I do that when I am more in favour of the police tear gassing them.

No successful protest has avoided militancy and disruption. Martin Luther King and Ghandi both did a lot of things that ****** off the public as did the suffragettes

Organisations generally turn to militancy and disruption after trying all other avenues
There was another group that got a lot of hate. Insulate Britain. No-one had heard of them when they were petitioning government and protesting outside parliament. The last couple of years has probably made a lot of people reassess how there opposition to insulate Britain. Another 20-50 years will probably be the same with Just Stop Oil.

If Just Stop Oil literally want to stop all oil production in the world today then yes find a place to keep them safely away from society but I imagine there is a lot more nuance in there position, but people don't listen to nuance they do well with short slogans though.

Back
Top Bottom