Just upgraded. Really dumb question

Associate
Could someone please help me out here - I know you guys know your phones.

I just upgraded at the end of my current 18 month contract with T Mobile and they did me a good deal on a new 18 month contract with a Galaxy Note 2 LTE.

This was yesterday.

Today the phone turns up, completely out of the blue, but there is no Sim card in the package.

So I called T Mobile and the girl on the phone said " The Sim Card is inside the box" So I says Thanks and proceeds to open the box later on only to discover that, you guessed it , there was no Sim card inside? (I did have my doubts)

Anyways. Could one of you kind folks please tell me what usually happens here?

It's the first time I've ever upgraded with a network as an existing customer directly and I can't bear to listen to any more of Adele's wailing whilst I'm endlessly on hold on the phone with T Mobile.

My existing contracts final billing date is in 3 days time if that makes a difference. Is that why they've not sent me a Sim card?

I'm confused and desperate. Any help gladly appreciated.

Associate
OP
Yeah. Thanks. I thought of that too but I currently have an SGS2 and it has a normal sized Sim? The Note has a Micro slot

Soldato
What the hell do you expect any one to suggest?! Get them to send you a bloody sim or go to a shop and get one. Or wait do you expect a kind ocuk member to hand deliver you one at 11pm?

Associate
Basically you have 2 options, like mentioned above, cut the sim down or phone them back up and tell them there was no sim in the box. Surly they will have to send one out to you, and don't let them charge you £10 for doing so, they always want to charge for a new sim but this is their fault so you shouldn't have to pay. Good luck

Soldato
WHATS IN THE BOX? ;) But yeah, phone up and they will ship you one or phone and confirm you can get one from a shop.

SIMs are extremely mis-understood. Think of them as a security token, they hold no information about you - just a magic number. The networks can link this magic number to your account but any token will do.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful (well mostly)

I finally got through to T Mobile this morning and guess what? They have no Micro Sim cards in stock! I now need to go to a store to pick one up and they would kindly charge me £10 for the privelege? I moaned a bit and they offered to waive the fee if I get the store to call customer services whilst I'm there (why do I have doubts on this?)

Anyways. I looked into cutting my existing Sim down. Looks just a bit scary if you hit the edge of the metal bit and trash it. You need to get really close on there don't you?

Meh. Maybe I'll just stick the Note on Ebay and keep my S2. I like my S2.

Associate
The metal bits are just contacts, the actual chip is much smaller. I cut this SIM a while back and it had no problems:

imag0056pv.jpg

Just go for it, it's not like you have much to lose at this point ;)

Man of Honour
Just go into a store and ask for a new micro sim, if they try and charge you tell them it's an upgrade and it's not your fault they didn't send a new sim with the new phone and to stick their charge up their bum.
Sorted, enjoy your lovely new phone and stick the SII on ebay.
Or go into your local mobile fixy place or to the local market stall that does it and get them to use a sim cutter to chop it down.
Or continue to live in the stone age and sell the much better phone just because you can't be arsed.

Associate
OP
lol at that picture. Nice job!

Going to a store is a royal pia. All of the local ones are Orange. The only Tmobile one is a pig to get to and is bloody miles away.

Anyways. I've just found a Sim in my old 6310i so I'm gonna have a practice.

Where's me scalpel.....

Associate
lol at that picture. Nice job!

Going to a store is a royal pia. All of the local ones are Orange. The only Tmobile one is a pig to get to and is bloody miles away.

Anyways. I've just found a Sim in my old 6310i so I'm gonna have a practice.

Where's me scalpel.....

Go to a CPW store near you and request them to cut the sim card for you, most CPW stores have sim cutters in store -- Tmobile should offer you a free sim card if it's an upgrade that's just stupid of them asking £10 for a sim card they never sent

Back
Top Bottom