Just won't fit! Help!

Associate
Spec in sig.

I've got my system installed and running OK (not loaded an OS yet though). Problem is I could find no way of connecting power leads to each of the GTXs - there's simply no way the plugs can fit because of the hard drives. It occured to me that maybe I could just use the ASUS EZ Plug, which is what I'm using now - is that correct or am I going to have to find another way?

Like I said, not running Windows yet. Cheers!

Associate
You mean the GTX's have a 6-pin power connector, and your PSU doesn't? Or that the length of the cards are too long to get the cable in due to the harddrives being in the way?

I wouldnt use the plug on the motherboard to power up the graphics cards, if that's what your doing, they'll almost certainly refuse to switch to 3D mode (or just crash). They need there own dedicated power connection.

Associate
OP
Sorry I'm so vague :)

Or that the length of the cards are too long to get the cable in due to the harddrives being in the way?

Precisely. I just don't know what to do. Workarounds? My PSU is Tagan Easycon. IMO the PCIe power connectors are stupidly bulky and this is the reason there's no way I'm getting them into those cards!

I'll post a pic in a sec.

Associate
OP
Damn. I'll check the 'bay.

I'm planning on putting 2 of the HDDs in Silentmaxx's next month, so it'll all be fine then, but it means I'll have to wait to play my games.

Can someone confirm that it'll be okay running these cards until then without their power cables as long as I dont use 3D?

Associate
If you can get the bios screen, you can probably get the Windows desktop. I just wouldn't run any 3d apps whatsoever.

Oh, and...

Akasa PCI Express 6 Pin to 4 Pin Power cable adaptor for PCI-E Graphics Cards (CB-018-AK)
Allows you too use PCI-Express graphics cards with a 6 pin connector with older Power Supplies that only have 4 pin molex connectors.

Price: £2.95 (£3.47 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Associate
OP
Hmm, can the hard drives be fitted vertically in the PC-7? That might give the inch needed, but tbh I'd prefer to have them horizontal. I think I can wait until I move the Raptors to the 5.25" bays.

Istalled Windows and it runs fine - obviously Forceware warns that it's reduced the cards power to prevent damage.

I'll have a think about those adapters, but it'll mean plugging in 2 more molex power connectors (each with 2 plugs on).

Any more suggestions welcome (pic below) - thanks for all your thoughts guys.

Associate
I've never seen a PSU with such huge PCIE power plugs - which PSU are they from? The only ones I've seen are the same as the plugs used in the adaptors.

The only things I can think of are:

reposition drives
different case
different psu
adaptors
chop up existing cabling (!)

Associate
OP
It's a Tagan Easycon TG580U15. Briliant cable management...apart from those PCIe's :( I did think about trying to take that blue cover off the end of the cable (as underneath that it's just a std 6 pin connector), might do so when I'm feeling brave.

Whatever happens - gonna have to wait a while to see what this beast can to with games!

Associate
cant really tell but is it not possible to plug the cables in before plugging the cards in as once its in the socket the connector will be a little shorter sorry if this is a stupid suggestion if they really are massively huge.

Back
Top Bottom