Kardean Flooring but cheaper

Soldato
Guys looking to re floor a hall way , living room but just looked at the price of Kardean , around £45 a sq m and I have 50sqm that need doing !

Any cheaper alternatives bug niot cheap looking laminate from Wickes please .

Last edited:
Soldato
There’s allsorts of alternatives

I did my kitchen and utility in Moduleo Layred luxury vinyl, it comes in planks like laminate but it can be laid on uneven subfloors ( to a certain extent)

I had 2 bathrooms floored with glue down LVT but I forget the brand , was about £27 m2 but had to have subfloors levelled with compound and then paid for the layout g itself

Soldato
Loads of alternative LVT available.

I've put glue down Karndean in our bathrooms, but laid some polyflor LVT in our conservatory and currently putting some 12mm laminate from direct wood floors down in hallway as I previously had engineered wood and wanted something a bit more resistant to stains with water resistance and needed the thickness due to skirting board height etc.

I'm actually surprised by the quality of the laminate, looks great and with the thickness it's dealt with the odd uneven floorboard perfectly whilst having a little spring in it, it's gone down so easily too.

For living room LVT is probably overkill if you wanted to save some money, you would be fine with laminate as you don't need the fully waterproofing. Think this stuff worked out 20cper sqm.

Soldato
OP
Loads of alternative LVT available.

I've put glue down Karndean in our bathrooms, but laid some polyflor LVT in our conservatory and currently putting some 12mm laminate from direct wood floors down in hallway as I previously had engineered wood and wanted something a bit more resistant to stains with water resistance and needed the thickness due to skirting board height etc.

I'm actually surprised by the quality of the laminate, looks great and with the thickness it's dealt with the odd uneven floorboard perfectly whilst having a little spring in it, it's gone down so easily too.

For living room LVT is probably overkill if you wanted to save some money, you would be fine with laminate as you don't need the fully waterproofing. Think this stuff worked out 20cper sqm.
Thanks for this.

What was the Polyflor like compared to Kardean ? Seems a big saving to be considered .

Soldato
Another +1 for LVT just laid it for our new kitchen floor, looks fantastic and not too different from the actual wood we have in our living room.

Soldato
How good is your subfloor?

As someone else mentioned, I had to build some height and get over some sketchy patches of floor where LVT would have come unstuck/required an expensive screed. I ended up getting some thick old laminate from Floor Street on recommendation from @Hyburnate. I did ~50sqm approx. It looks amazing IMHO, and feels properly solid.

Ko9QMcn.jpeg

Soldato
Thanks for this.

What was the Polyflor like compared to Kardean ? Seems a big saving to be considered .
I'd say similar as the Karndean was all glue down with the strips and the polyflor was click lock so thicker and seems to be very resilient, I had a look at a number of brands and they were all very similar!

As above you need your subfloor to be spot on for LVT as it's quite thin whereas engineered wood or laminate has that bit more flexibility due to its thickness.

Soldato
I'm just in the process of laying some quick step lvt in a bedroom and I'm very impressed with the quality of the planks and the variety of wood grain patterns. It's the 'alpha bloom' range and comes with a 1mm underlay attached to the lvt, 6mm thick in total.

https://www.quick-step.co.uk/en-gb/vinyl/bloom

I went for a click system as I don't trust myself to do a good job of using glue down lvt. The click system does seem very good though, and fits very tightly together to make a completely waterproof seal.

I looked at karndean, amtico, polyflor etc and they all seem relatively similar in quality. I ordered from https://flooringking.co.uk/ purely because they were cheapest. Delivery was fine.

It's all in the subfloor quality with lvt. Anything more than 1 to 2mm of unevenness will likely be noticeable under foot.

Back
Top Bottom