KAUST

Associate
Well after a few weeks of waiting around for things to happen I have now got confirmation that I am going to be studying at KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology) in a years time.

A little background here, the university itself is brand spanking new, built with a metric tonne of money from the King of Saudi Arabia, looking to attract the best and brightest from around the world to study. Everything is fully paid and I get a living stipend when I am there and I am there for at least two years (I want to go on and do a PhD, then join the faculty out there as a long term plan).

To make this thread more thread like, I am going to ask some questions, what should I be expecting out in Saudi Arabia, besides myself melting and giant face eating spiders? Also should I stock up on oil when I am over there?

In before worst 'OMG i'm excited post' evar and now I am going to go and take some chill pills so that I can get to sleep.

Associate
OP
Well its a Research Masters for two years, I already have a BSc so nerr to you people saying Im going to miss the best bit of uni.

Also the university itself has its own laws, so its more akin to an embassy, most of the more insane laws don't apply on campus, women can even drive on campus :o Anyway as said I plan to stay on and do a PhD out there if possible so Im going to be set for life if all goes to plan.

Associate
OP
Well they are shipping me off to Saudi some time this year for a big ceremony, all expenses paid to see the campus / building site. The campus itself is pretty much a giant town with golf courses / cinemas / shopping centres / etc... Plus its situated on the red sea and we get a marina, so pirate adventures \o/ With the bonus of me having to pay nothing and getting a monthly stipend of what looks to be $1500 a month atm

So if nothing else I am going to be learning to play golf and being a pirate of the yarrr variety.

Associate
OP
Might not be the first place I'd choose, but that really appeals to me as a Biologist. Are you going as a post-grad? Good luck with it!

The diving looks spectacular too :eek: :D

This is all post grad, there is no undergraduate stuff going on at KAUST, though they will completely fund your undergraduate degree (Fees paid, $500 per term for books, $2500 for a new laptop + monthly stipend which varies depending on where you live) as long as you get onto the scholarship program.

Associate
OP
What are you going to do there then?

I am going to be doing a Computer Science Masters, though that could be practically anything, though there is a chance for me to do practically anything within the field, Im doing stuff with Biometrics and Information Security this year (another MSc here also funded, yay im popular). Though I am quite interested in ubiquitous computing and concurrency as well atm.

Back
Top Bottom