Keep a car good when off the road.

Soldato
I recently got a new car, but the car I have before ( 2010 Fiesta) I have kept in excellent nick, so instead of selling it for very little its worth more to me having the security if thing should ever go financially sideways I have a car I "own" able to use.

I have declared the car SWORN, parked in tarmac driveway, got a good cover for it and have got a trickle charger. Have seen other tips one was to by some cheap mats and have the cars parked on those to help save the rubber, spraying WD40 over exposed joints, making sure the fuel tank is fully filled as it keep watered condensation away from the tank ete. Does anyone have any experience or tips?

Associate
2nd hand car prices are at an all time high. Example here in northern ireland 10 years ago if you wanted a scrapper with full years MOT as a run around you would have had 100+ to chose from for under £750 same cars now are well over £1k+

People cant afford to buy new cars so will pay more for a solid 2nd hand car with history. Checking autotrader there 2010 Fiestas asking as high as 8K

Rubber components will dry out even if you spray them, depending on how long you park the car up things will potentially need attention such as disks and calipers, fuel tank drained (fuel will go bad over time, also if its ****** e10 there no long term data to say how bad it will be on the tank itself when it goes bad) Sell it and put the money into saving or an investment account should you need it in future.

Also the CAR is sworn so no valid MOT, no isnureance so therefore its a risk for being stolen.

Sell it and invest the cash or stick it in savings should it be needed in future

Associate
If it won't be used at all, you're better off selling it and just planning ahead to have a few grand aside to buy another one in the future if you need to.

Soldato
I totally get where you are coming from but cars aren't great for being left for long periods of time.

If you do decide to go that route make sure to put a few large dehumidifiers in there and anti bac all the touch points (steering wheel, gear knob, handbrake etc.) other wise you may find it goes a bit mouldy.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
How much is limited mileage insurance for you? id be inclined to keep it taxed etc, that way you can give it a run out every few weeks/months to keep it tip top. Staggeringly ive seen that gen of fiesta go rusty, so in our climate, covers arent all that helpful.

Soldato
How much is limited mileage insurance for you? id be inclined to keep it taxed etc, that way you can give it a run out every few weeks/months to keep it tip top. Staggeringly ive seen that gen of fiesta go rusty, so in our climate, covers arent all that helpful.
I add my mothers car for 24 hours once a month and it costs 50 pence each time.

Back
Top Bottom