Key West

Associate
Has anyone visited Key West and if so what hotel(s) would you recommend I take a look at ?

Budget probably around 1500 for the hotel for 2 weeks if that's possible with flights on top.

Soldato
2 weeks in key west seems a lot. What are you thinking of doing? It's been a while since we went (2009) but found 2 days was plenty to see the core pieces. You would need more if you are planning a trip to the Dry Tortuga etc, it was part of a larger Florida trip (Miami > Keys > Everglades > Gulf Coast > Parks > Space Coast).

We stayed at the Travel Lodge suites at the time which now goes under another name. It was perfectly decent at the time.

Soldato
When are you staying? Hotel prices vary massively between seasons.

Like most of the US these days Key West is very expensive. We stayed in Heron House Court which was a fairly bog standard hotel and it was £300 / night in peak season, but might be close to your budget if you're going in off season. It was perfectly nice and well located though so I would recommend it.

As above, I'm not sure what you're planning to do for 2 weeks though. We stayed for 2 nights and managed to the main attractions in the town and do a day trip to Dry Tortuga. We felt another night would have been ideal to see some of the parks along the keys, but can't imagine staying much longer than that.

Soldato
Was there in 2006 so, obviously, some time ago.

Flew into Miami, got a hire car and drive to to Key West which was an experience in itself

We stayed for 2 weeks on Truman Avenue just off Duval Street. The (apparently) 3 star hotel / motel we stayed in was basic but clean and had a pool.

As others have said two weeks is more than long enough to see everything and then some. Some lovely beaches, great seafood and if you get chance go to Sloppy Joe's - was a regular place for us to go for drinks of an evening. Which reminds me, as we came off Truman onto Duval there was a small bar we used to sit and have a few drinks and people watch. On the third night the barman welcomed us, asked "the usual?" Then said so you guys moved in round here now? To which I nodded (being curious) to then find the drinks about a third cheaper than we had been paying. People seem to visit for a few days either by cruise ship / ferry or fly in, spend a few days and fly out.

That said thoroughly enjoyed it

Associate
I was there in 1996 for 2 weeks, I actually could only stay for 1, it was Party City!! couldn't hack it so changed my flight and got back to Miami, I loved the sea though so warm, but very hot/humid of course! loved doing a sunset cruise on a catamaran free champagne, those were the days!

Associate
As others have said two weeks is more than long enough to see everything and then some. Some lovely beaches, great seafood and if you get chance go to Sloppy Joe's - was a regular place for us to go for drinks of an evening.

The Regulation Podcast have a show they do called Sloppy Joe's Bingo where they play bingo using the live cam from Sloppy Joe's. It give a good idea of the night life and is hilarious!

This is the first one they did when podcast was under a different name: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxsJ4PW_R04

Back
Top Bottom