Keyboards - testing them

Associate
It seems to me that there is no way you can find any of the mech types in a position to be able to test them.

It seems to be very much a case of taking a punt!!!

So, how do you at least reduce the choice to be able to come up with something that may actually give you a chance?

From my standpoint, developer by trade, so need f-keys and cursor keys really, which would imply TKL (or similar)

Was tempted by something like the RK84. I know some rave at the Realforce Topres, but I can't justify specing several hundred on a keyboard, so 100ish is about the max average!

Permabanned
Near impossible to test keyboards. You can sometimes find switch testers though that have the different switches on.

I took a punt on a TKL with gateron brown switches, also a developer, and happy with it. :)

Permabanned
Keychron K8 TKL, with gateron brown switches. They are not quiet but not excessively loud. Was about £100 with delivery. Though I also bought a wrist rest as its quite a chunky keyboard and needs it I think. Its actually wireless as well but I generally use it plugged in all the time.

Soldato
Some switches can be usually excluded straight away.

For example if you don't want high noise level, forget MX Retro alias Blue and its copies/clones.
Even standard "mechanical" switch is lot noisier than membrane/rubber dome switch, because of hard plastic parts smashing into each others in both ends of travel.
(with spring kicking key up fast if not slowed down by finger)
While those "clicky" Retro switches even add extra noise effect to mimic ruckus of mechanical typewriter.
And if you would like membrane/rubber dome keyboard noise level there aren't much switches paying attention to damping the noise.

Another variable is differences in force curve and where press is registered:
  • Membrane/rubber dome has some initial resistance before starting to go down, after which needed force decreases until risiung some near bottoming.
    Also "actuation point" where key press is registered is at bottom of travel.
    Low profile "scissor" switches behave pretty similar overall.
  • Mechanical switches again have low initial force needed to push them down.
    Especially so called linear force curve switches have very light initial resistance, unless whole force curve is higher and bottoming force grows high.
    And actuation point is half way down the travel.
    Non-linear (force curve) switches again have "hill" in force curve before reaching actuation point, after which they behave like linear switches
Hence non-linear force curve would be more familiar, if you don't have experience from mechanical switches.

Back
Top Bottom