Keychain password manager vs 3rd party

Associate
My 1Password is due to renew in December, I'm looking at moving to BW as it works out a bit cheaper. The challenge will be teaching the wife and setting it all up for her!
This is partly why I'll probably never move from 1Password... Managed to get the wife onboard with it a few years ago and comfortable to use it, I really can't be bothered to go and change to a different solution and then go through that entire process again.

Man of Honour
Pretty impressed with Apple Support. I had a password item I was unable to delete so I used the Apple Support app. After 20 minutes of the usual 1st line triage I had a screen share with someone else who managed to sort the issue.

For anyone coming across this, the resolution is to find the corresponding item in keychain, update the URL in there and then remove it. Once that was done, it disappeared from passwords and after a few moments I was also able to remove it from keychain.

Associate
I use Keychain pretty much exclusively now and have done for some time, was originally on 1Password and then Lastpass but I don't see the point if you only use Apple devices, so much more seemless and straight forward with Keychain and therefore people like my wife etc who are not technical people at all can just 'save' and not have to remember anything else which saves me a lot of stress!

Soldato
I’ve been with Dashlane for a while now and everything works pretty well. I was initially drawn to the zero-trust architecture but major advantage over iCloud would be use on any platform, I have the edge extension at work and it’s seamless. I’ve got to admit I don’t like the iOS implementation, preferred the browser extension. Ability to share passwords with the Mrs is also very helpful. Worth the money for me.

Man of Honour
I’ve been with Dashlane for a while now and everything works pretty well. I was initially drawn to the zero-trust architecture but major advantage over iCloud would be use on any platform, I have the edge extension at work and it’s seamless. I’ve got to admit I don’t like the iOS implementation, preferred the browser extension. Ability to share passwords with the Mrs is also very helpful. Worth the money for me.
You can install the iCloud add-on for Edge (on Windows), and share passwords with family too.

Man of Honour
I've been using Apple Passwords for a few days now, and whilst not as good as 1Password, it's certainly not terrible and perfectly usable and in some ways slicker. Plus, it's free. It didn't import some items due to not having usernames or other fields which it didn't like, so I'll import my 1Password export into Bitwarden (free) and tap into it as required. It doesn't have the mass configuration which 1Password has, or editable websites etc, but as mentioned it's free & works so I'm going to stick with it. I also have it set up on my Windows PC plus my Windows 11 Arm VM and it works well enough in Edge. One gripe I read about quite often is that you are not able to export passwords, I don't know for iOS only users but you can certainly export from macOS and I've successfully pulled it into a secondary vault in 1PW as well as BW. I can also share passwords with my wife via the UI.

I expect Apple will make further improvements moving forward.

Man of Honour
It's been over a month with just using Apple Passwords, and TLDR I've switched to Bitwarden for everything.

Apple Passwords is perfectly fine for the average user such as my wife (she prefers it over 1PW). But for someone who uses the extra features of a proper password manager it really starts to frustrate. The lack of ability to edit web addresses, add any meaningful data to saved items, no ability save service accounts/API keys without web addresses, and constantly having to use TouchID finally swayed it for me. As an example, if you go to a site which has a username, you require TouchID/biometrics for Passwords to input the username. If you then press next to get to the password page, it again wants biometrics to input the password. I also don't like how Safari locks the password field and you have to use the menu to unlock it, if for example it doesn't recognise the site, or it's suggesting a new password.

No requirement for the family plan as the wife is using Apple Passwords, so I feel $10 or whatever it is to have 2FA/MFA is entirely worth it.

Soldato
OP
It's been over a month with just using Apple Passwords, and TLDR I've switched to Bitwarden for everything.

Apple Passwords is perfectly fine for the average user such as my wife (she prefers it over 1PW). But for someone who uses the extra features of a proper password manager it really starts to frustrate. The lack of ability to edit web addresses, add any meaningful data to saved items, no ability save service accounts/API keys without web addresses, and constantly having to use TouchID finally swayed it for me. As an example, if you go to a site which has a username, you require TouchID/biometrics for Passwords to input the username. If you then press next to get to the password page, it again wants biometrics to input the password. I also don't like how Safari locks the password field and you have to use the menu to unlock it, if for example it doesn't recognise the site, or it's suggesting a new password.

No requirement for the family plan as the wife is using Apple Passwords, so I feel $10 or whatever it is to have 2FA/MFA is entirely worth it.

Ive been using BW for about a year, coming from 1Password. For my needs it's fine, and for free it's brilliant, but I pay the $10 for the extra stuff like 2FA. UI is basic looking but it does the job, like most password managers there is still things that don't always go as you want like prompts to store a password, though it's improved a lot since I got BW.
I thought 1p was brilliant when I had it but I didn't feel like I was making use of it's full potential for me to pay such a yearly premium price, think it was about £40 a year.

Man of Honour
Safari on all my devices is still trying to autofill passwords, MFA codes, and Passkeys even though it's all set to fill from Bitwarden, this is highly frustrating.

Man of Honour
From what I understand, BW does not support Passkeys on iPhone yet, which is frustrating.

Wish I knew that before paying for premium.

What is their definition of 'future release'? My 1Password account is still active and I tried that on a site I have a passkey set up with and it worked perfectly with 1Password.

Soldato
OP
From what I understand, BW does not support Passkeys on iPhone yet, which is frustrating.

Wish I knew that before paying for premium.

What is their definition of 'future release'? My 1Password account is still active and I tried that on a site I have a passkey set up with and it worked perfectly with 1Password.

Think they are lagging behind on that from what I read, actually thats something I quite miss from 1p, the handy notification letting you know if a website you have credentials held for has passkey or 2fa support.

Going to have to read up on passkeys, still have no idea how it all works!

Man of Honour
I’m tempted to try 1p again next year, though I have $10 in my BW wallet to pay for future sub, wonder if I can get that back? No big deal if not.
BW have offered me a refund which I'll likely take. Has to be within 30 days I think of taking it out. I'll likely return to them in the future when they have proper mobile support for Passkeys.

Soldato
OP
BW have offered me a refund which I'll likely take. Has to be within 30 days I think of taking it out. I'll likely return to them in the future when they have proper mobile support for Passkeys.

Good to know, I paid into my wallet just a week ago, so might try to get that refunded then. Going to give 1p ago again and see what this passkey stuff is about.

Back
Top Bottom