Keychain password manager vs 3rd party

Soldato
Hi

Does anyone use iCloud keychain as their password manager instead of say 1password or last pass, or made the switch from a 3rd party p/w manager to keychain.
I own all apple devices and was thinking about switching to keychain.

1password which I use costs a yearly/monthly sub, I like the p/w manager but when I use all apple devices it makes me think I should just use keychain and save some money.

Commissario
Keychain is fine but very basic. The additional features provided by 1Password make it worth every penny, specifically the ease of using 2FA/MFA. I hit the key combo to log me onto a site and not only are my username and password filled in automatically but so is the 2FA code.

It just works.

Soldato
OP
Keychain is fine but very basic. The additional features provided by 1Password make it worth every penny, specifically the ease of using 2FA/MFA. I hit the key combo to log me onto a site and not only are my username and password filled in automatically but so is the 2FA code.

It just works.

Ah so the 2fa code is not filled automatically, I like that with 1p. Im sure keychain will improve some areas such as this eventually. I will stick with 1p for now.

Soldato
Bitwarden. It costs $10 a year and is worth every penny. I'd pay just for the Bitwarden Send feature, and then you have a full-featured password manager included! Plus, you can run it on your servers if you are ultra paranoid because it is open source. Also, buy yourself a Yubikey 5C for 2FA.

Associate
I'm currently with 1password but thinking it's time to change as stuck on version 6 due to the monthly pay scheme. Is it easy to switch over to bitwarden?

Soldato
I'm currently with 1password but thinking it's time to change as stuck on version 6 due to the monthly pay scheme. Is it easy to switch over to bitwarden?

I have no idea how you export data from 1Password but there is a menu option in Bitwarden to import data from other password managers. I imagine it should be fairly straightforward. Just use the free version of Bitwarden to try and import your data and if everything works upgrade to the £10 a year premium version (if you want it).

Associate
Good idea, I’ll give it a go. I have loved using 1password over the years with such simple integration but it’s all changed for the worse, in my opinion anyway.

Associate
Looks like I'm running into some issues still being on High Sierra (latest OS I can run) as it crashes on opening if I install from the App Store. I can install manually and the program works but looks like I won't be able to have a safari extension as it just points me in the direction of the App Store for it. Am I correct?

Soldato
Looks like I'm running into some issues still being on High Sierra (latest OS I can run) as it crashes on opening if I install from the App Store. I can install manually and the program works but looks like I won't be able to have a safari extension as it just points me in the direction of the App Store for it. Am I correct?

Sorry, I can't help with the macOS requirements as I am brand new to the Apple ecosystem but I did get the Safari browser extension from the app store.

Commissario
I'm currently with 1password but thinking it's time to change as stuck on version 6 due to the monthly pay scheme.
Bearing in mine I first bought 1Password in 2009 and kept it going for as long as I could before I went onto the annual subscription. I think that for the ease of use, for the way it supports 2FA on multiple devices, it's an absolute no brainer for around £30/year. When I look at the time it's saved me over the years, I can only repeat what I said earlier in this thread that I think it's worth every penny.

Associate
Bearing in mine I first bought 1Password in 2009 and kept it going for as long as I could before I went onto the annual subscription. I think that for the ease of use, for the way it supports 2FA on multiple devices, it's an absolute no brainer for around £30/year. When I look at the time it's saved me over the years, I can only repeat what I said earlier in this thread that I think it's worth every penny.

I agree with you and as soon as I trialed it (in 2012 here) I bought it right away. I just have such a big bear about subscription based apps that I’d rather jump ship. I understand they need an income but I’d rather pay a one off fee each major update like the good old days. Perhaps I need to change my stance sooner or later as it seems every bit of software is heading this way it seems.

Soldato
I moved from 1Password to the built in Keychain with iOS 15 since it now supports filling in the 2FA codes. I prefer to use as many built in apps or features as possible though.

Out of interest, was there any kind of migration process available to help with this, or did you do it manually?

Permabanned
I would rather use 3rd party rather than keychain. I feel it can be managed more and more cross compatible between linux, mac, ios, android and windows devices.

If you use keychain you kind of caught into the apple environment-ish.

Man of Honour
I was reading a security article regarding keychain vs other methods such as 1Password. It called out that there is a fundamental flaw with keychain but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.

I think it's something to do with that if your iDevice is comprised, then so are all of your passwords. I know this doesn't make sense as if it's authorised to log into your own password manager, then it's the case there too. But I'm sure it was something along those lines. I've since tried to find it but I can't.

Permabanned
I only use Apple devices so being locked into the Apple environment isn't an issue at all.

If you ever go over to normal systems you going to then need to export passwords from keychain and as far as I know there is no migration for keychain accounts.

Where as with (for example) BitWarden, there's an export function to allow you to export all items saved.

Back
Top Bottom