Kicking a Phone

Man of Honour
Thought this was good ‘GD material’... it brought out the rage in me :D

Rob Halford of Judas Priest recently punted someone’s phone out of their hand at a gig.

https://loudwire.com/judas-priest-rob-halford-comments-kick-fan-phone/

YouTube vid for those who hate reading.

I think this is awesome. Smartphones are absolutely ruining concert experiences. There is nothing worse than being behind some moron’s phone with their brightness set up. If you do that frankly you deserve everything and anything you get.

A few snaps = fine
A short video or two = fine
Your phone out for more than 5% of the show = DIE

Be a **** and get treated like a **** - fair play.

What say you, GD? Which way do you rage?

Man of Honour
OP
Nah, people recording gigs through their phones are the bane of my life. I've stood behind people filming 50%+ of the gig before, and had to move because they were so annoying.

I bet they never watch it either, crappy audio recording and far enough from the stage that it's not going to look great.

If the band are doing something brand new, or rarely played then fair enough, but don't record the whole gig.
Once I was in a situation whereby a person was politely asked several times to put their phone away after awhile, but they didn’t, so it got grabbed and lobbed - to much applause. And I didn’t feel the slightest bit sorry for the person that was holding the phone.

Man of Honour
OP
That's different, they had an opportunity to put it away after being asked.
True, but someone holding their phone up like that is so obviously annoying to everyone including the artist that you just have to be a selfish poo-face to do it.

I agree it would be a bit harsh if he’d only just whipped his phone out.

Man of Honour
OP
People pay their money, then film it when there. No one should care. It's up to them.

Stop being a bunch of interfering so an sooos
So it doesn’t bother you if people are using their phones in front of you in a cinema then? Surely you are familiar with that annoying and highly disruptive ‘glow’.

Man of Honour
OP
Not really the same at a concert where you can just move if you’re standing.

Plus cinemas tell you in advance not to use your phone and put it on silent/switch it off.
Being able to ‘just move’ isn’t really a thing, particularly at the front any show like that. By moving, you will just annoy everyone else.

You shouldn’t need to be told ‘don’t be a ****’ at any show, or the cinema, to justify any response you get for acting like a ****.

Man of Honour
OP
Errrm.

Filming in a cinima is breaching copyright law. A legally enforceable offence.

Filming at a gig is NOT in breach of copyright law.

Get it?
I didn’t make a point about breach of copyright, so I’m not sure what the relevance of that is?

Man of Honour
OP
I’m not entirely convinced Tom did expressly warn people in advance but it’s irrelevant IMO.

@Tute I probably wouldn’t ban them, but If I was a rockstar I would probably play a pre-recorded message along the lines of “be considerate, keep brightness down, use sparingly and if someone decides to throw your phone, we won’t feel sorry for you”.

I know bands like Tool are really, really strict at phones at their gigs. Unlike Tool, I definitely don’t think people should be thrown out just for having them.

Back
Top Bottom