Kickstart classic RPG - Wasteland 2!

Soldato
Right after one awesome kickstarter (double fine) ends, another begins.
In 1 day already raised almost 600,000 dollars.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

I am much more looking forward to this, than the double fine adventure.

RPGs>Point and click adventures.
Especially hardcore post-apocalyptic ones.

Who is with me? :)

I pledged 65 bucks, I want that oldschool box!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To be honest, I can personally understand peoples frustration when it comes to Obsidian simply from experiences.

Kotor 2: Buggy, mass of content cut from game
Neverwinter 2: Buggy, **** poor performance issues at launch
Alpha Protocol: Decent story & Dialog etc, **** poor ai and game play mechanics
Fallout Vegas: Buggy as hell at launch, granted patched up now.
Dungeon Siege 3: Complete butchery of the franchise

I borderline hate Obsidian, they never finish their work and often leave it a buggy mess, I wouldn't want them to touch this project even if some of them had a hand in the games past.

Ok, let's address this fun post, shall we?

Kotor 2: LucasArts gave them 11! months to develop the whole game and rushed it to christmas market before it was finished. And despite rushed ending, it is STILL A BETTER GAME than KOTOR 1. Story is just fantastic and Kreia is one of the most fascinating characters ever in a game.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Buggy, yes. However it was patched profoundly and later expansion Mask of the Betrayer is one of the best RPGs of the last 10 years.

Alpha Protocol: Was delayed by almost a whole year, by Sega, which did not pay for that year of development..so Obsidian could not work on the game eventhough it was sitting on a shelf for a year. Mechanics are good, story and choices and consequences are great. One thing that was not great were animations, granted.

Fallout New Vegas: It was developed in 16 months. QA was handled by Bethesda, which again rushed it to the market before it was ready. However Obsidian quickly patched it to perfection. I played it on release, finished it (before any patches) and encountered few insignificant bugs.And again, story-wise and design wise it far surpasses Fallout 3 in quality.

Dungeon Siege 3 - I played demo and disliked that, but then again I found DS1 and 2 to be very mediocre as well.

-----------------------------------

Bottom line. Publishers suck. Chris Avellone, who wrote Planescape Torment/KOTOR/NV is brilliant writer and I cannot wait what he will write and design for Wasteland 2.

Soldato
OP
I never really debated the games not being good (minus DS3), just that they're very buggy on release and in most cases they leave it in that state post launch. To me it doesn't matter if they constantly have time restraints on development, if they're gonna be buggy as hell on release I just avoid it until I've seen otherwise or patches are out. I said hate, but more of a dislike of Obsidian if I was being more correct.

Personally I much preferred kotor 1 though, anyway I'm done, was just posting my opinion, don't wanna derail from Wasteland 2. :p

Fair enough, but keep in mind that it is publishers who handle QA (bug squishing) and setting deadlines. If you give studio too little time and mismanage QA, then the game will have bugs, and it does not matter how good the developer can be. Blame publishers for that. It is a huge shame that Obsidian always got sh_at on by publishers though. They do not deserve that, with the quality of their games.

Let's not forget Obsidian's other staff. John Gonzalez, Travis Stout, Josh Sawyer, George Ziets, Eric Fenstermaker etc etc had a lot of writing input into their more recent projects.

Speaking of Chris Avellone, did anyone who's played Fallout 1 find a character with the same name in The Hub?

Yeah there are lot of good writers and designers at Obsidian. I am reading JE Sawyer's formspring so I know about them too. I just have a soft spot for Avellone specifically :)

And yeah I met him in Fallout, Boneyard :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can't believe it has been 2.5 years since I made this thread. Time flies.
Super excited to play, review are good, steam is ready, now just to get off work.

Soldato
OP
Funny, I have pretty much opposite impressions. During random encounters I have usually 100% chance to run and yet I do them because I enjoy the combat, the party is balanced in a way that is enjoyable to me. Right now I am in Prison and thinking about how to resolve the situation there. Kill everyone or not kill everyone?
Can't wait to get off work and make a decision.

Haven't seen any bugs or crashes yet. The camera is fine if played with right hand on WSAD to move it as needed, which I don't mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am doing the Rail Nomads bit atm. Trying to negotiate peace, and it seems like I am being punished for trying tbh...I am just walking from one side of the map to the other in order to have a 5 second conversation where I don't even get to choose any responses. Nothing happens as I travel from one to the other either, it is just unnecessary trekking over the area to pad it out. Sorry, bit I expect better in 2014

This is true it was a bit annoying. But resolving it peacefully was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom