Kids Today & Tech

Soldato
This boils my **** how useless kids are, specifically mine. I mean, they can work apps, no ****, but anything more than that and it's like I've asked them to reprogram the ******* space shuttle.

I think the problem is, they've never had to take **** apart to get it to work again, or they won't have a working *insert whatever thing it is* as they just go "doesn't work, need a new one".

They come to me to fix stuff, or even simple stuff. It's driving me mad! They're supposed to be tech generation I'm sure of it, but christ, they're useless.
I'm not old, I'm 33 and 4/5th and these kids are 11 and 15 and while the 15yr old is actually getting better at things like after effects and prem pro (he talks to me like I'm an utter spaz and haven't been around since before this **** was normal) he still wouldn't have a clue about his machine.
I gave him one of mine, as I built it for my wife but she never used it and it was overheating (1700X, 32GB RAM, 500GB m2 drive etc.) and I was like well fix it then... he just didn't know where to start so did nothing, and I ended up doing it. (think it was a dodgy fitting on the cooler pump in the end, replaced it and was fine) I know that's probably hard for him to solve, but we just took stuff apart when I was his age. When did that stop?

You'll probably just say it's my spazzy kids, which would be fair. I'm putting all my eggs in my 5yr old who is already a boss, so maybe there is hope.

Soldato
OP
I put my 6 year old up for adoption as it couldn't rewire my house.
I don't bloody blame you to be honest. I would have.

Maybe stop referring to them as 'spazzy'
Can we not use that word?

you've basically just created a thread that reads 'i'm a completely knobber when it comes to raising children' which i doubt was your intention :p

Haha I'm very proud of my kids, they're absolute legends. The PC was a bad example, but I was taking apart my PCs. He doesn't know what a 1700X is, so doesn't matter.

Point being, it's not just them I've noticed it with when it comes to tinkering with tech.

Soldato
OP
A RasPi will learn 'em :)
Both have one. Both can use Scratch pretty well. Set them up with that ages ago and took them through it.

Your attitude towards your children is shocking. I would never be like that to my child

Haha love you.

Maybe he could have got on the internet and researched what the issue could be. Possibly even found his way to OcUK and asked the question. He could have taken the side off and had a look if anything was obviously wrong without doing anything that would obviously damage the computer. He could have spoken to his dad and see if his dad had any suggestions of what the issue could be and then researched the fix. What he actaully did was nothing at all.

This is kind of my point as well. I don't know if it's French schools or what, but I try and teach them more and more about solving an issue by doing all the above. Or even any of it. Again, I'm not sure if it's schools over here teaching to just remember stuff, but life is all about being able to find solutions and information.

Why has GD allowed you to get away with expressing your age like that? Are you saying you're 33 and four fifths? It's that really what you just said in that post?

Also, if your lad had actually attempted to fix the PC with no experience and no help from you, this thread would have opened up with...

"My Spazzy wean just ****** up the water cooled PC I built him, he's such a total mouth breather I just had to clean some flies off his front teeth..."

lol it's actually 11/12ths if you want to be pedantic. I was being funny. Seems I missed this one.

I wouldn't though, if he was taking it apart in general I'd be pleased he'd given it a go. Or, as above, came to me and said "reckon you'd give me a hand in taking this apart to fix it"

This thread is fun :D

Soldato
OP
Yes, we did that too. Forgot to add it to the list.
When I was 17 in school I made a badboy bonnet for my citreon AX at school lol

But since I was like 10 I was doing woodwork, cooking, sewing, metal work and electronics. I remember the standard plant/water device that measured if you needed to water the plant. I must have been 10/11 when we made that.

Back
Top Bottom