Kitchen cupboard hinges loose.

Soldato
Hi,

I have a problem with one of the hinges in my kitchen.

The problem is as follows:

11twrw9.jpg

2ls7xk.jpg

The people who installed my kitchen have made an error, the pilot holes they drilled appear to be too large resulting in the screw not getting tight back into the hole.

I had a think about this and filled the holes with wood filler, waited a day and then put the screws back in. It felt strong at the time for one of the screws the other was still not tightening up properly.

I got a feeling there will be more hinges these gits got wrong!

Today the hinge still feels a bit loose I think it will eventually come out like it did this week.

Also this is the end cupboard at the top of the kitchen and there is nothing to the right hand side of it except a window so putting a bit of wood there to screw into will not look very pretty at all.

Any suggestions on what I can do for a more longer term fix?

Soldato
OP
what do u mean by wooden plug? is it like cutting a bit of wood for that hole, ramming them in and then screwing into the wood?

how will I cut a round with of wood like that though

Soldato
OP
thanks do u think this is a common issue? and the fault of the installer?

I'm dissapointed with the people who installed the kitchen hardly been 2 years and some of the hinges are doing this already!

Soldato
OP
I will see if my local hardware shop has dowels but I only need 2... maybe I will need more later on

never thought about matchsticks though lol wow

Soldato
OP
fixed it with the wooden dowel method
it was a ba** a*** in the end!

3 out of the 4 screws are now strong, 1 of them at the bottom is still loose but I had to take the cupboard door out and that weakened the screws at the bottom

the problem I found was lining up the holes to match my pilot holes, next time I will draw a line on top of each hinge so I know exactly where it fits

I blame the installer one of them was about as useful as a one legged man in a bum kicking competition!
he was best skilled with hoover only he's clearly not drilled good pilot holes and I fear more fixes coming up!

Soldato
OP
Back
Top Bottom