Knackered Sata or dead Windows XP ??

Associate
Basically my pc has since failed to boot into XP. It loads into XP then loads into the welcome screen and just does nothing. All I get is the Windows XP Welcome splash screen and thats it, I cannot type in my password etc because it is not loaded up.
There is activity on the HDD led, I leave it for minutes and yet still nothing happens. The mouse cursor can be moved around, Ctrl, alt and del don't work.
I tried booting it in safe mode and the same thing happens.
I tried running chkdsk and that completes 100% with no problems detected.
Could the sata HD be knackered?? I get no beeps from the motherboard to indicate a problem with the other hardware etc.

My guess is that windows is buggered and maybe a fresh install would fix this, but I thought I ask on here for some advice first because I don't really want to lose all my data stored on the HD but if fixing it with a clean install of XP will fix this then I guess I got no choice.
Any advice would be most welcome.

Associate
OP
yeah cheers for that mate, I will do that this time.
looks like a fresh install of windows will have to do seeing that seems like the only method.

Permabanned
To recover your data (which should not be on C: :p ;) ) you can either use a WinPE pre-installer or Barts PE. Both boot & run direct from CD/DVD and will allow you to burn files off C: onto CD/DVD's.

Back
Top Bottom