Knowing when to call it a day

Associate
Afternoon all,

Something I've been pondering recently when is too far with an old car not worth a great deal?

Background to this I have a 2007 Civic Type R with 156k on the clock. Has a list of niggles I won't bore you with however recently I've had the clutch done, brakes, some suspension work totalling about £1200.

Thinking the next big bill will be decision time but with the amount spent recently when would you call it?

Personal experience from anyone welcome!

This is the level of support I needed, two headlights to replace the cloudy ones (Fool before me fitted aftermarket HIDs which ruined them from inside) and on the hunt for a less rusty bonnet.

Now to trace the window washing issue.
Apply man maths...…spend spend spend.

I bought an R53 Mini in October of last year and have probably spent around 3 times the purchase cost on mechanical gubbins. Absolutely stupid and could have bought something else, but I really like it, so down the rabbit hole I go.

Another 2010 civic owner here and approaching 10 years of ownership. Most recent bill was the back axle replacement due to rust. The next will be clutch/DMF as I sense some slipping. Trying to be gentle to prolong it while pondering if I should replace it.

The car is still fully functional and drives well. But it feels very "tired".
Rear axles I've seen are a when and not if but mines looking reasonable. Clutch was £520 but that's petrol without DMF to deal with...

I have a 2009 FN2 just about to hit 120k and I have these same thoughts from time to time. It’s landed me a few ~500ish bills over the years but it’s now had all calipers replaced, new clutch and both front shocks replaced (which is a common item to fail on them I believe)

So when the costs are averaged out over the years it’s not that much. It helps that my mileage is pretty low too

What’s the window washing issue? My jet washers stopped working a few months ago and there was just a small filter on the back of the washer tank that needed a clean
They shoot fluid a tiny bit if you flick it but holding it does not a great deal. I'll check that out thanks!

Back
Top Bottom