Kodi os or xbmc?

Soldato
i use kodi all the time on my windows computer/laptop, but obviously as the windows based programm and only ever tried xbmc once before which was okay, but I prefer windows, however I am looking for a 2nd pc that I can put near the tv downstairs to watch all my movies off my hard drive and so I'm wondering which is the best way to go about it?

I have discs with variations of different Linux os from before, so it's no problem to install one then install xbmc and set that to load just that or I could download xbmclive or whatever again, I just don't know how best to set up a computer just for my movie collection....

Soldato
i use kodi all the time on my windows computer/laptop, but obviously as the windows based programm and only ever tried xbmc once before which was okay, but I prefer windows, however I am looking for a 2nd pc that I can put near the tv downstairs to watch all my movies off my hard drive and so I'm wondering which is the best way to go about it?

I have discs with variations of different Linux os from before, so it's no problem to install one then install xbmc and set that to load just that or I could download xbmclive or whatever again, I just don't know how best to set up a computer just for my movie collection....

libreelec and a Pi should suffice for just media and use CEC or a cheap media remote with it.

Soldato
OP
thanks for replies. i know kodi is the improved xbmc, was just when i did a search, kodi as an os was mentioned and ive never loaded that as the front before due to windows.

but luck would have it, due to it being my birthday this weekend i got this today which was a big surprise as me and the person who got it me was only talking about them in the week in a general way as they have computer mags so i didnt even realise the pi zero existed lol, just downloaded raspbian jessie lite, now got to hope my micro sd card i found works then i can test this bad boy out :D, get some Velcro and slap it on the back of my 46" tv, be a lost sight ha.

Soldato
thanks for replies. i know kodi is the improved xbmc, was just when i did a search, kodi as an os was mentioned and ive never loaded that as the front before due to windows.

but luck would have it, due to it being my birthday this weekend i got this today which was a big surprise as me and the person who got it me was only talking about them in the week in a general way as they have computer mags so i didnt even realise the pi zero existed lol, just downloaded raspbian jessie lite, now got to hope my micro sd card i found works then i can test this bad boy out :D, get some Velcro and slap it on the back of my 46" tv, be a lost sight ha.

If its purely for KODI, libreelec is your best distro.

Soldato
OP
Well not entirely, but ATM I'm having issues I think with Jessie lite(see new thread) as I don't know how to set these things up, however the goal for now is to connect a hard drive with movies on and use it for that till I decide how to play about with it as there's many cool projects I've seen giving me ideas, but ideally want to eventually do my original plans for something like this which is retro gaming, more in the way of a handheld type like my crummy pxp3 or like those sega consoles for, but for all possible emulators available, Don't think I have the skill to hand make a table top arcade case ha.

Associate
another vote for openelec, used it on Pi's and a NUC; easy to install!

with multiple kodi's though you might want to look into a mysql library so you can synchronised watched status etc.

Back
Top Bottom