Korean GP Worries

Soldato
OP
I've seen the Koreans resurface 2 miles of road over night, 4 lanes worth.
That said it's not looking good.

How the hell did they tip that crane? No load on it but no counter balance either? somebody just extend the boom without setting up properly?

I'm hoping they get it all sorted.

Soldato
ive heard that if it doesn't take place jerez would be a likely replacement, as its the only approved track available.

Slim to none chance of that happening. Logistics involved would be immense as someone mentioned.

That said, we can always dream. Love driving up for F1 testing days, not been at a GP there since 97 iirc. Missed the whole Villneuve/Schu incident as I was round the Expo 92 stand :/

Associate
I think it will happen, on the basis that there would be a BIG fuss being made if it didn't look likely. It doesn't look that bad, it just has a bit of a boring freshly constructed look about it.

It'll be fine. As long as Brundle doesn't mention the ****** at turn 9.

Soldato
On one of the BBC F1 blogs, I'm sure they mentioned that the likely possibility would be one of the other tracks hosting a double header. That would be a bit weird.

Associate
And even if they didn't have the track ready I can't see them not having a GP at all. The sponsors and TV companies have paid for a certain amount of races/coverage and there will be a major stink if it they didn't have it somewhere.

Soldato
Moving the race somewhere else would be an utter logistical nightmare. It'll be Korea or nowhere.

I think provided the tarmac is down and the track is 'safe', the race will happen, even if it doesn't look pretty.

Soldato
And even if they didn't have the track ready I can't see them not having a GP at all. The sponsors and TV companies have paid for a certain amount of races/coverage and there will be a major stink if it they didn't have it somewhere.
Very true. However as mentioned several times the logistics of organising the teams equipment as well as the TV companies in less than 2 weeks would be impossible.

Also, bearing in mind that the circuit makes the its money from ticket sales and sponsorship, I find it very unlikely that any of them would host the GP without being guaranteed a return - which at this late stage they definately couldn't be.

If the Korean race doesn't happen the TV companies/sponsors will be knocking on Ecclestones door to get some of their money back, and in turn he will most likely to be knocking on the door of the organisers.

If there isn't a Korean GP this year, I find it hard to believe there ever will be one.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a shame if there is going to be one less race now, but tbh I don't really enjoy racing this track much at all on the F1 2010 game so I'm not that gutted :D.

Soldato
Im a little disappointed, the area around the track looked really nice in the late afternoon sun! Fancy a race on it tomorrow if i get F1 2010 tomorrow too to make some sort of judgement...

Caporegime
The track is pants, and I dont understand why Bernie keeps taking F1 to places where nobody is either interested (Bahrain) or can afford (India) to follow F1, at the sacrifice of the great European tracks.

As far as im concerned the ONLY downside to there being no Korean GP is that it is one less Race for the McLaren boys to claw their way back, and one less oportunity for someone to ram Teflonso into a wall.

Caporegime
The track is pants, and I dont understand why Bernie keeps taking F1 to places where nobody is either interested (Bahrain) or can afford (India) to follow F1, at the sacrifice of the great European tracks.

like you have to ask :D

Money%20stacks.jpg

Soldato
OP
Well this weekend the marketing hype started over here, so far ive seen:

5-6 Tv spots during the football
3-4 billboard type ads
A leaflet pushed into my hand on the subway for a package tour down to the track.

And yesterday sombody was trashing a Renault F1 car around near City Hall in Seoul, unfortunatly I missed it, and City hall is only 5 mins walk form my hotel.

Back
Top Bottom