Kriega R20 waterproof?

Soldato
My Knox is broken, again. This time out of warranty. First time it lasted about 5 months, second time just over a year. Not impressed!

I'm after a Kriega R20 this time - 10 year guarantee & I was very impressed with the US-10 quality, so expect the same from the backpack (especially for the price!).

They don't claim it's waterproof, but it does have 'water resistant' zips. How waterproof is the thing? Is everything going to get ruined if I get caught in heavy rain for an hour+?

I know I can strap the US-10 to it to have a 100% waterproof compartment, but realistically I'd only do that if I need the extra space rather than having it permanently on there.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well day to day I could get away with just about no waterproofing as my commute is pretty short, so it'd be fine for that, but I don't want everything getting wet for when I do get caught for longer out in the rain. It has happened before and I had the rain cover on the Knox.

I suppose I could go for another brand that is fully waterproof, but I really like the look of the Kriega and it works with my tail pack! :D

Man of Honour
Really for a totally waterproof backpack you need a roll top one, there's plenty on Amazon. I've got one and even in torrential rain everything inside stayed absolutely bone dry.

Soldato
Kriega R30 is the 100% waterproof one, it's awesome. Has a roll top, it's basically a US30 with extra pockets and backpack straps. If you can afford the extra, it's the one to go for. Seriously comfy too, like the other Kriega backpacks.

Man of Honour
How adjustable are the straps on these? I've never managed to find a bag that has a chest fastening that is of any use on someone my size.

They may get added to my when I win the lottery list :D

Soldato
OP
Kriega R30 is the 100% waterproof one, it's awesome. Has a roll top, it's basically a US30 with extra pockets and backpack straps. If you can afford the extra, it's the one to go for. Seriously comfy too, like the other Kriega backpacks.

Hmmmmm tempting. I like the extra pockets at the front as well.

It's pretty much double the price though :/. I like that it's bigger though, I carry shoes, waterproofs and lunch box normally, so a bit tight on space with the knox which I think is 20l

Associate
I can also vouch for the R30, excellent piece of kit. But to be fair the only thing that makes it water proof is the dry pack inside. Girlfriend has the R20 and we picked up a generic 20 litre dry bag off amazon for it. My mate used a heavy bin bag in his Kriega. Improvisation :)

Soldato
Hmmmmm tempting. I like the extra pockets at the front as well.

It's pretty much double the price though :/. I like that it's bigger though, I carry shoes, waterproofs and lunch box normally, so a bit tight on space with the knox which I think is 20l

Yep I can carry a pair of trainers, 2 lunch boxes and it's barely half full, yet with the compression straps it goes nice and small. My Hood jeans were delivered today and will fit in with no issues along with all my normal stuff.

How adjustable are the straps on these? I've never managed to find a bag that has a chest fastening that is of any use on someone my size.

They may get added to my when I win the lottery list :D

Plenty of range, they have a cool 'dot' system, which you line up in one of the buckles, 1-3 dots which is small/med/large setting. Large is pretty damn big, and small is very small, and you actually pull it tight through the cinches on the bottom straps.

I used it fully loaded for 800 miles over 2 days and with the way it keeps weight off your shoulders (you can fit a finger or between the straps and your shoulders) and had zero back/should pain.

Man of Honour
Plenty of range, they have a cool 'dot' system, which you line up in one of the buckles, 1-3 dots which is small/med/large setting. Large is pretty damn big, and small is very small, and you actually pull it tight through the cinches on the bottom straps.

I used it fully loaded for 800 miles over 2 days and with the way it keeps weight off your shoulders (you can fit a finger or between the straps and your shoulders) and had zero back/should pain.

That sounds like a pretty decent fitting system cheers mate :)

Soldato
Yeah was just looking at a review, just looks like the US30 tail pack with some fancy shoulder straps! Does look good though.

Yep that's it. A US30 (which is £95 on it's own), with 2 extra small (water-resistant, not waterproof) pockets, a nice big padded area on the back, built in kriega hydro pack pocket, and straps to take a US5 or US 10 attached onto it.

Caporegime
My Knox is broken, again. This time out of warranty. First time it lasted about 5 months, second time just over a year. Not impressed!

I'm after a Kriega R20 this time - 10 year guarantee & I was very impressed with the US-10 quality, so expect the same from the backpack (especially for the price!).

They don't claim it's waterproof, but it does have 'water resistant' zips. How waterproof is the thing? Is everything going to get ruined if I get caught in heavy rain for an hour+?

I know I can strap the US-10 to it to have a 100% waterproof compartment, but realistically I'd only do that if I need the extra space rather than having it permanently on there.

Thanks

no its not, its water resistant the outer zipped compartment is pretty much water proof but the main body is not (its got a gap to pass a water tube through by the strap for one)

and its got a drain hole in the bottom :p

light showers its fine prolonged heavy rain it will soak through in the main compartment (but theres an internal waterproof compartment for Small things. like phones as well as the outer pocket)

it is amazingly comfortable though and very practical as you can expand or compress it very well.

the r30 is the 100% waterproof bag and i can testify to that after dragging it through non stop rain for about 4hours.

oh and in a crash it really stands up well and takes a lot of the impact off your back for you. mine survived the motorway off with some small holes.

i've got the r20 and the r30.

the r20 is way more comfortable than the r30 (with the r30 the keey seems to be keepign the heavy stuff midway up the pack not at the top or the bottom) r20 feels like its giving you a firm but gentle hug.

Last edited:
Associate
I really wanted a Kriega but that was a bit too expensive for me when I only use a rucksack occasionally and as I don't think they're safe. I bought a Raibeck motorcycle backpack for £35 and I'm very pleased.

It's pretty waterproof but also comes with a waterproof hi-viz rain cover, it's a good size, has space for a back protector, has a helmet carrier and what sold me is that it can be used as tailpack.

yVIOYR5l.jpg

Soldato
OP
What's the quality like? I've been through 2 Knox bags which rated pretty highly in terms of build quality and was £50, so not that cheap as far as backpacks go. I use mine daily, so it does get a bit of abuse I guess.

Associate
My mate has an Oxford Motorcycle Aqua 25 Rucksack All Weather Waterproof

611GlsngYjL._SL1200_.jpg

looks great, waterproof, chest and waist straps fully adjustable/removable, and less that £50.

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

I've been looking at rucksacks as I need to take a laptop, shoes and a few bits everyday and the one I've become obsessed with is the Ogio Mach 3 or Mach 5...they're not overly cheap but I love them.

They state it's "nearly" waterproof...which I reckon will be fine. I'm going to put the laptop into a dry bag anyway to 100% guarantee it'll stay dry. The zip sits against your back so water ingress is unlikely which I think is why they say "nearly" waterproof.

http://www.ogio.co.uk/products/moto/No-Drag-Mach-3/stealth - this is the Mach 3. They say it's £109.99 but I've seen these for £75-85 on eBay etc.

THe Mach 5 is even nicer: http://www.ogio.co.uk/products/moto/No-Drag-Mach-5/stealth and again can be had for £85.

Also here's a comparison video to the R20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtGCT7anV0k

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom