Kross bikes any good?

Soldato
Hi guys,

Does anyone on this forum have a Kross bike and are they any good?

I went to an independent retailer and they are recommending these bikes.

Also im 'thinking' of cycling to work :o but a little worried due to my skill and the fact I am a bit of a noob at cycling.

Are there any good phone apps that I could use to plan a route?

Thanks

Mik

uv

uv

Soldato
They look quite pricey unless your LBS can get you a damn good deal. £1500 for Tiagra is just obscene.

Best bet is to tell us your price range, the kind of terrain you'll be cycling on, and the spec that your LBS is offering for the price - it's very likely we could recommend a much better deal elsewhere.

Soldato
OP
Hi,

Price range wise, im willing to up up to about £700-800 pounds.

Usage wise will hopefully be cycling to work (road) and sometimes off road for leisure.

I originally went up to look at hybrids, and the person at the store said to go for 29inch. Being 6'4 I also need a larger frame.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
I love recreational cycling, I was told the Hybrid is a no no from the LBS person as they dont handle corners very well :confused:

So he recommended a 29er and said its great for both commute and off road..is this correct?

Soldato
29er will roll well, I have a 29er and now my commute has increased from 6 mile to 10 mile I'm selling it and replacing it with a CX bike for winter. I use a road bike 80% of the year but for winter I ain't riding my heavy 29er, it'll put me off cycling, I bought it as I were told it were the best thing for me but im afraid that wasn't correct.

I believe for commuting it should be a road bike followed by a CX bike for winter in the bad weather.

With a CX bike you could go along the canal and trails without it causing you any issues and they're fantastic on the road too.

Look for the Cannondale CAADX. They seem to be a very popular choice and you can pick up one almost new on the auction site for £500, which is what ill be doing very soon!

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I did a lot of research into the CX.

First of all I thought bikes were just bikes, mind blown how much variation there actually is:o

I ordered this from Evans and awaiting delivery! :D
Cannondale CAADX 105 Disc Cyclocross Bike

Soldato
Great choice and you'll have years of fun (& commuting) with it!

If you have an Evans' local they're good for lots of stuff, including clothing etc.

I wouldn't really agree with James about needing a CX and a Road bike for just commuting, maybe just a second set of wheels with some bigger tyres on is a better option. You would have one set of bad weather/off road tyres with 28cm (or larger) 'gravel' tyres and than a set of 25mm road tyres.

It's very easy to swap wheels over, so you would just select the wheels you wanted depending on terrain/weather! ;)

Good set of wheels - £100-150 with a cassette £30 and 2 tyres £50 = lots cheaper than another £500+ bike, unless you need an excuse for a new bike... ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom