Kryonaut abrasive??

Hello guys,
Same problem here with a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut included in an EK Velocity AMD D-RGB Waterblock.
y4ma6MDWCUZmNJiFeEu1TG9QMzkuiu9fuG47Xq45GGFl9yw_PdvdihEoIYuORK-Rpj098EjKPBhbAgnXREtdfFkXStdFCnoxJUgyO3DbJ9GP8ltf8hgwqOdZwywdOt0U3-ccN0OeDrMTArRQxnLA6s45wqn5asCI3DuJDZeU08yMW7OdpiGLcfS5GEId0m7C81dp3SDkVsSIqjATL4Icjy6rw

I send the email for support.
Thanks for all of your information about that guys.

Had the same happen to me where it pitted the surface of the cooler like this.
I left a bad review here on OcUK and it was never published against the product I purchased.
Going by this post I doubt there are only 5 star reviews, but matters not I certainly won't buy Thermal Grizzly again nor recommend it to my friends.

[EDIT] Just checked my order history, purchased it on the 12th of December.
---> https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...ance-thermal-paste-5.5g-1.5-ml-th-001-tg.html

Last edited:
Associate
Had the same happen to me where it pitted the surface of the cooler like this.
I left a bad review here on OcUK and it was never published against the product I purchased.
Going by this post I doubt there are only 5 star reviews, but matters not I certainly won't buy Thermal Grizzly again nor recommend it to my friends.

[EDIT] Just checked my order history, purchased it on the 12th of December.
---> https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...ance-thermal-paste-5.5g-1.5-ml-th-001-tg.html
oh.. oh dear. Are you saying OcUK manipulate or block undesirable reviews from their products pages?

I wouldn't like to say.
But the review was submitted.

[EDIT]
Sent a email to TG support (Tue, 25 Feb, 16:02)

Calmed down and removed my previous hot head comments.
I would like to give TG and OCUK support a chance to put this right.

[EDIT 2]
Pictures taken

Finally had a reply back from TG support (29 Feb 2020, 15:42), they asked for pictures / proof.

This is not what I had planned for my Sunday afternoon but happy to oblige.
Same kind of pitting as Bibouwned, accept worse.
Probably due to applying an thin all over layer rather than pea size grain to the center.

[EDIT 3]

As of the 3rd of March no reply back from TG support regarding the pictures I sent. :(

Contacted OCUK via the private support forum.
Not going to go into detail, but my particular problem has now been resolved to my satisfaction.
Cannot ask for more than that.

2020-03-01%2013.05.57.jpg

2020-03-01%2013.02.07.jpg

2020-03-01%2013.37.50.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
oh ffs I wish I'd found this thread last week. I've literally just built a machine using kryonaut. The weird thing is if you search the forum for Thermal Grizzly it doesn't come up. Only if you just search for kryonaut. I;m guessing best leave the cooler on if it;s behaving temp-wise and hope for the best - assuming it's just an abrasive thing? Or is it a chemical reaction and the sooner off the better? Consistency felt much the same as arctic silver 5, albeit a bit more sticky and harder to spread.

Brand new noctua NH-U14s on a Ryzen 3900x. Not happy if it's damaged those!

Associate
TOSG Have to say your photos of damage do not appear to match cooler to cpu?
You appear to have radial scratches on the cooler but not on the cpu.

If you look back at photos of my damaged cpu in comparison yours is almost perfect.
In fact the cpu looks more like it has the same fluffy white bits on the surface that is spread over your heat pipes

That surrounding crap on the pipes was from after cleaning off the paste!
It came off quite dry and powder like.
It is pretty thick goopy stuff, not as liquid and free flowing as Arctic Silver that's for sure.
Plus the cooler has been mounted for a couple of months, there will be some dust.
But all in all it was pretty clean inside the PC.

But they can say what they like.
I know that cooler had a mirror like circular finish before the Kryonaut touched it.
2020-03-01%2012.49.19.jpg

2020-03-01%2013.25.20.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I think I'll crack open my laptop tomorrow and see how it looks. My laptop has developed a fault where plugging in the charger appears to short it out so I'm in the process of 'returning to standard' prior to warranty kicking in.

Associate
So any news what stuff that paste included?
Yes, there was a big difference in granularity of the paste that i bought and the paste that TG sent me for analysis. The paste that i bought had much bigger(almost double in size and lacking uniformity) metal-oxide particles compared to the one I received. Composition was the same, only the granularity was different.

Soldato
That surrounding crap on the pipes was from after cleaning off the paste!
It came off quite dry and powder like.
It is pretty thick goopy stuff, not as liquid and free flowing as Arctic Silver that's for sure.
I don't remember AS being free flowing. It was viscous and needed to be spread with a credit card, but did spread easily enough. Stickied up my latex glove on touch rather than dribbled/ran/flowed. The TG Kryonaut was more viscous but i didn't notice any granularity.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi :)
Wanted to give you guys some official feedback from Thermal Grizzly side.

We indeed had one bad batch of thermal paste early 2018 which we only noticed after it was already shipped out to customers.
We always take samples from each batch and perform spot tests but it appeared that in this specific batch the spot tests which we performed had the normal performance,
but several syringes had zinc oxide which was not perfectly grinded the way it should be. Zinc oxide is quite hard and strong compared to metals like copper used for coolers and CPU heatspreaders. This explains the scratches you saw on some pictures here.
Due to the fact that the thermal paste has no S/N we unfortunately were not able to track where this shipment was sent/sold.

We are very sorry that some of you experienced this and we will try our best to compensate your personal cases.
In general if you experience any of the problems described in this thread don't hesitate to contact us directly: [email protected] and we will figure something out for you.

I can also tell you that we changed the supplier after this incident. The new chemical factory has top-notch roll mills which we personally inspect every quarter to make sure we can maintain perfect quality.

Again we are very sorry about this but you can be sure that this won't happen again in future and if you have any additional questions or requests please shoot an email to us.
Thanks and Bear-Wishes
TG-Support
Hi TG Support

I am currently experiencing the exact same issue, I have sent the photos and receipts to [email protected] and [email protected]. However, its been a week since I last heard from you. Could you please follow up on this issue?

Thanks

Chen

Back
Top Bottom