Landlord shenanigans

Soldato
So we are due to move into a new house next week, but we find out today the landlord now wants to add an extra £200 to the deposit and 6weeks rent in advance (rather than the 4weeks we had agreed to in speaking) before we can move in.
Unfortunately nothing has been signed beyond paying for the letting agency fee's.
I'm gonna kick up a fuss with the letting agency tomorrow over how inconsiderately late the landlord has decided to land this upon us, but is there anything else we can do?

Its not so much the money aspect of the deal its the total disregard the landlord had towards us in leaving this so late, i'd tell them to stick it normally but our current place has got a new tenant set to move in when we leave and im not one to screw people over.
rant over :)

Soldato
OP
Basically if he's doin this now...u know he is a bad landlord, avoid.

Thats my thoughts on it to, not the best president to set before your tenants move in, we are there first foray into letting as well i believe. They want the 2weeks extra rent to change the payment date to the 1st of each month rather than the 15th of every month (our move in date). Something they should have thought about before agreeing to let it out :rolleyes:

tell them to stick the deposit, they can have the rent in advance (you need to pay it sooner or later). Make it plain to the agents that it is the landlord that is reneging on the deal, and therefore any fees paid will have to be returned - this should get the agents on your side...

This is the angle I'm going to take, the landlord is not gaining anything out of this request other than 2weeks extra rent. Thankfully the agents know what they are asking is unfair.

So you have handed over money to the letting agent and not signed anything?

Surely when you hand over a deposit you sign a tenancy agreement at the same time which says exactly how much money you are going to hand over prior to moving in......

Nah the only thing we have signed is the agreement for the letting agency to do the checks etc. The only money paid is this as we were set to pay the rent and deposit the day before we moved in.

Had they requested all this beforehand we would be much more willing to agree to the terms but 7days prior to moving in :rolleyes: its a tad unfair and i doubt many people have the ability to conjurer up £500 at such short notice. The only thing that's stopping me from telling them to stick it is the tenant due to move into our current place, I'm not prepared to mess them around.

Back
Top Bottom