Lanlord problems

Soldato
One of my housemates moved out without paying his last months rent and leaving the landlord his deposit of a months rent. He didn't tell the landlord he was leaving. He was out of contract (initial 6 month contract to stay). The house is in the same state as when we moved in, no damage etc.

Our landlord came around unannounced today ranting at everyone, as he normally does, being abusive, and saying he'd follow up my ex-housemate with a debt-retrieval firm (Experion I think). He also said he'd take a big pile of my ex-housemates records.

Where does my ex-housemate stand legally?

Soldato
OP
Frankly I don't think the landlord would be allowed to take anything of his at this point even if your friend owed him money. It takes quite a lot of time to be able to just go and take someone's stuff for debt collection.

Although if he has left and his contract finished then he may (depending on tennancy agreement) take the stuff into storage in order to be able to use the room.

The records are in the conservatory; his room is empty. Our landlord didn't take them this morning. He's 'given' them as a gift to another housemate anyway so shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom