Laptop advice on a £600 to £700 budget

Associate
I am looking into buying a Laptop for my wife; she suffers with spinal problems and ideally needs one so that it makes it a little easier for her to access emails, internet, word, music, pictures and watching dvd’s where she is most comfortable at any given time (bed, couch, kitchen etc) instead of having to be stuck on the desktop PC in one place and one position. It would rarely be used outdoors so the weight is not to much of an issue.
I was thinking along the lines of something that does not get too hot (although I would imagine using one on a bed duvet will not help matters...) and has a half descent size screen (15 to 16"). I am not sure whether to go wide or standard size on the screen considering it is relatively small compared to our PC one (Dell 24” WS).
I use a router that connects my and my two kids PC’s to the net/ LAN directly through Cat45 cabling; the router also has a wireless connectivity option so getting online should hopefully be no problem with the laptop. Most of our walls inside the house are partitioned (not solid) and our layout is on two floors.

Game play is a not an issue for this laptop so a fast GPU is not required

My initial research is pointing me towards the Dell Inspiron 6400…From my experience with Dell, they show good support/customer care and tend to have good bang for buck.

What do you think of something like this to meet my wife’s needs ?:

InspironTM 6400
Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology with Intel® CoreT Duo Processor T 2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
56K Data Fax Modem
15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800)
60GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
Memory - Now 1024MB (Was 512MB)
FREE DELL COLOUR PRINTER

Any advice would be very much apreciated, thank you.

S!ap

Associate
OP
Thx chaps, at the moment the buying direct seems to be a better deal(free shipping/higher spec/cheaper all-round), but perhaps there might be a special on them this week at OCUK...Please :)

I am also pondering whether to spend a few more sovs and go for the 17" Wide Screen XGA (1440x900) 6400 model for that extra screen space.

Is that built-in Intel GMA 950 Shared Graphics Card with up to 128MB good enough to run DVD's?

What about those cooling mats that plug into the USB port of your laptop, just a gimmick or do they actually work?

I am off with the wife later on to go look at some laptops at Dixons (no Dells though) so that we can compare various screen sizes and layouts etc before I re-mortgage the house...=)

Associate
OP
Went for ther Dell =)

I went and had a look at various laptops with my wife yesterday and it was soon apparent that a 17” screen size was way to big for her; she was more than happy with the 15.4 size. We popped into the Sony shop and I was impressed with the weight, screen quality and style of the laptops…The Sony prices brought me back down to earth though… =)

In the end I went for the Dell based on the specs and bang for buck and also managed to pump the specs up (better quality screen, larger HD, Bluetooth, XP Pro ) by trading off the free printer and USB memory stick and paying a little extra.

This is what I ordered:
Inspiron 6400
Intel ® Core™ Duo Processor T2300 (1.66 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB) XP Pro, SP2 (with the disk):
1 Year Collect and Return service only
Dell® Media Experience 3.0 Basic
1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
80GB (5,400 rpm) Hard Drive SATA
15.4" UltraSharp™ W Screen SXGA+ TFT Display resolution: 1680x1050 with TrueLife™
Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with Software
6-cell , 53 WHr Li-Ion primary battery (optional)
Microsoft® Works 7.0
65W AC Adapter
Internal Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
Internal 56K v.92 Capable Fax Modem
Intel® Pro WLAN 3945 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g 54 Mbps) for Duo Processors Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3 Mbps) with Enhanced Data Rate
Kensington Pilot Mouse Mini - Wireless
And usual trial bloatware…

From what has been posted here I realise that the Dell will most probably be a little plasticky when compared to other brands, but this is not an issue with us as long as the screen quality and specs are on good.

I’ll post back when it arrives/got it set it up with my initial assessment.

Thanks for all the advice and comments guys.

S!ap

Associate
OP
Hi eveyuk, it came to £839.87 (delivered & including vat)

A tad over budget I know, but apparently you only live the once... :)I suppose the flip side is that I can finally get to use my desktop PC all to myself...<maniacal laughter>

PS thx lemonkettaz.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom