Laptop battery care

Associate
Hi guys,
whats the best way to care for laptop batteries. i have a ferrari 4005 turion64 2gig 1 gig ram 128mb radeon x700pro 100gig hdd etc etc
anyway i have a few questions..

1: when running on battery is it best to fully deplete it before i charge it or the other way round or doesn't it matter?

2: if im not going to be using my laptop for a week or so is it best to leave it fully charged or fully depleted?

basically i want the battery to have as long a life as possible without reducing its capacity to permanently hold a charge

Cheers

-Clark

Soldato
In order to get the most life out of your battery, you should make sure that you use it until it is fully depleted and then charge it all the way up, then use it again until it is fully depleted, and charge it up fully again etc etc.

As for your second point, when its not being used for a week, it doesnt make a whole lot of difference bu its best to leave the battery empty.

Associate
Nickel based tehcnologies prefer to be fully discharged most of the time. However, in a modern laptop the battery will be lithium based. Assuming it is lithium technology (lithium ion or lithium polymer) then it is actually best *not* to fully deplete the battery. They last longer at under 80% depth of discharge (i.e. at least 20% remaining when you charge it). Although, some manufacturers appear to leave a little reserve to prevent deep discharges, so it is hard to tell (my Dell batteries discharge to 10.5V rather than the expected 9V which means it does the batteries less harm to deplete them fully in the laptop). The basic rule is charge lithium batteries little and often. However, recalibration of the fuel guage is required after about once a month, which requires running the battery to empty and then doing a full charge. However, it is best not to do this every time you use the battery.

Although, here comes the caveat. Lithium batteries don't really like being in a fully charged state for too long, so leaving them fully charged degrades their capacity over time, particularly when kept warm rather than cool. This means that a working laptop is the worst possible place for a lithium battery, since internal temperatures are high and the battery is kept fully charged. If you do a lot of work on the mains, or worse play games, you can always remove the battery completely whist working on the mains and keep it somewhere cool (not the fridge though, they don't like condensation!).

As for storage for extended periods (not sure a week is that long though), it is best to leave them partially charged (40% is quoted by the battery manufacturers) to account for some self-discharge. This reduces by quite a lot the capacity decrease suffered by long term storage (particularly at 100% charge). Dell, for example, recommends charging to about 80%. It is the top part of the charge that seems to do the damage. *Never* store them completely empty, as self-discharge can take the voltage critically low and cause the protection circuit to trip, meaning that the battery is then unusable.

To be quite honest though, lithium batteries die naturally from the day they were made. 3 years is the normal life in very good conditions (like mobile phones, where they are never stored for long at 100% and are charged often). 1 year is normal for a laptop where they are kept warm/hot at full charge for extended periods.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Soldato
Nice post there, very useful seeing as I'm getting a notebook myself soon (Dell Inspirion 630m).

The only thing I might not completely agree with, based on what I've seen is to charge batteries "little and often" - looking on the Dell site the other week (so this is entirely from memory), the standard battery has a lifetime expectancy of 350 charges. Granted, that's a decent number, but it's not huge. Perhaps not an idea to continuously top up the battery, but not to let it drain completely either.

Caporegime
Was actually discussing this with my sister who has just got a Dell Inspiron 6000 - shes in the middle of the first few charge/discharge cycles to get the battery up to normal...

One question she did ask me (Ive kinda advised her to run the laptop when at home just off the mains without the battery in the laptop) is that if she is running just off the mains with no battery connected, if the mains cable is detached accidently (or say the electricity cuts off) is there are 'reserve' of some kind to allow the laptop (either manually or automatically) to power down/hibernate to prevent data loss? I doubt you would really need more than a min or 2 for this to happen in such a state...

If there isnt do you think something like a cheap UPS (the Belkin on this week offers looks very interesting) might be a good idea to get to prolong battery life and ensure when running off the mains that no data loss occurs if the power goes?

Cheers

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
If there isnt do you think something like a cheap UPS (the Belkin on this week offers looks very interesting) might be a good idea to get to prolong battery life and ensure when running off the mains that no data loss occurs if the power goes?
No there isn't a backup, but how exactly do you expect to connect the ups if the power leads meant to be pulled out?

Associate
TheVoice said:
The only thing I might not completely agree with, based on what I've seen is to charge batteries "little and often" - looking on the Dell site the other week (so this is entirely from memory), the standard battery has a lifetime expectancy of 350 charges. Granted, that's a decent number, but it's not huge. Perhaps not an idea to continuously top up the battery, but not to let it drain completely either.
The rated life expectancy is often quoted at 80% depth of discharge (or even perhaps at full discharge) which is what Dell will have done. At 20% depth of discharge you could expect 1500-2000 cycles or more as the battery is not stressed nearly as much.

In a laptop environment, depth of discharge is likely to be quite high as the user will work for an hour or two before getting to the mains to recharge, so the number of cycles will be lower.

Martin

Soldato
Mole said:
The rated life expectancy is often quoted at 80% depth of discharge (or even perhaps at full discharge) which is what Dell will have done. At 20% depth of discharge you could expect 1500-2000 cycles or more as the battery is not stressed nearly as much.

In a laptop environment, depth of discharge is likely to be quite high as the user will work for an hour or two before getting to the mains to recharge, so the number of cycles will be lower.

Martin

Ahh right OK, thanks muchly for clearing that up. Just hoping now that my step-dad doesn't bugger up the battery on the notebook before I get it!

Back
Top Bottom