Laptop fan noise

Associate

Please see above videos. Brand new laptop is making a revving noise and then sounds like it's about to take off. This is on csgo main menu without evening playing the game properly!

Is this normal? Any help would be massively appreciated

Laptop is a MSI Pulse 17 Inch FHD Gaming Laptop, i7-13700H,Nvidia GeForce RTX 4060,16GB RAM,1TB SSD,Win11

Associate
OP
And this is it simply on startup, surely that's not right?

https://youtu.be/4GppSnHIsx0

I have chosen the silent setting on MSI centre and it is still making the same noise. Appears gpu is fine as 300+ GPS on the game.
I have the hardware monitoring on and it doesn't show the cpu or gpu getting above 20% so unsure why the fan is so loud?

Associate
I don't think so. Although it is difficult to be entirely sure when listening to videos not knowing the source volume etc.

1st video - sounds like coil while at certain points; does not sounds normal.
2nd video - 'banging' noise can be heard but not sure if this is the game.
3rd video - probably the worst and that fan sounds awful as the speeds change.

I do have a ASUS Rog Strix which I bought in 2018 and was my main PC until last year. It did get loud although you could run it in it's quiet mode (performance impact) but to be honest I used headphones when gaming so the noise didn't bother me too much.

Man of Honour
Laptop fans often are noisy and will ramp up in menus (unless v-sync/framerate capped) as often menus are rendered as fast as the GPU can process and often being relatively graphically simple churn out 100s of FPS. However those videos sound like the fan(s) are not getting the appropriate voltage and so not spinning properly.

I assume you've removed any and all protective film and there aren't any stickers blocking the fans, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not normal fan noise. Either the fan bearings have failed or they're rubbing against the case.

Can you remove the bottom panel and investigate?

My Medion X25 is very noisy under load, but it's the typical fan wind/airflow noise, which is to be expected from a slim gaming laptop. The grinding sounds are definitely not normal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom