Laptop gaming

Associate
Hello all,
Looking to spend around £1500 on a gaming laptop . Games I’d play would be typical call of duty and battlefield and a few smaller RPG games.

Space at home restricts me getting a desktop and I’d probably most likely be using it for work purposes mostly internet based use uploading photos etc .

what’s good bang for buck? the one Iv highlighted to be a good contender would be a msi g15 stealth with the 3060 graphics card, would anyone else recommend something else ? Need it to be lightweight also

thanks for any help in advance !

Associate
Wait until March and the new 30xx laptops will be out (new Asus G14 etc) with ryzen. If you don't want to wait you can get a razerblade with 2070 max q for under your budget.

Soldato
I've bought two gaming laptops now and waited patiently for a Black Friday deal or, last year, a bargain I couldn't resist.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/leno...-intel-i5-10300h-gaming-laptop-lt-00q-lv.html is what I bought (for quite a lot less, but that's bargain hunting for you) and after boosting it to 1TB/16GB it feels like a laptop I'll be living with very happily for at least three years, like the last one with a 960M chipset.

Advantages:
1) Looks like a laptop, not a teenager's wet dream.
2) Sounds like a laptop, even when gaming most of the time.
3) High FPS gaming is great! I can run everything I've tried on max at 'normal' FPS or -- as I prefer -- turn off the daft bells & whistles I barely notice and enjoy smooth 100+FPS gaming.
4) Not heavy.
5) Runs an Oculus Rift CV1 perfectly. (I've only tested it briefly though; me and VR don't get on for long).

Disadvantages:
a) Plastic body, but it feels reassuringly solid.
b) Power lead dangles from the back rather than side, which is a pain sometimes in laptop (99% of my use) rather than desk use.
c) No SD card slot, but that's just an annoying niggle. I like SD for sneakernet and photography though.
d) Autoswitching between CPU graphics & Nvidia can be a lottery with games. But I had that with the previous laptop too.

I thought the CPU might be a bit of a let down, but I've done video editing on this, which is about as demanding a task as I'll ever do with it, and had no complaints.

Associate
OP
Christ there’s so many variants to buying a laptop it’s making it harder by the day ! Set on a 30 series laptop currently . Now just to find one that won’t sound like a Boeing while gaming hopefully

Back
Top Bottom