Laptop has broken drive - can't reinstall, won't detect USB DVD drive

Associate
I've been having trouble with my laptop's DVD drive for ages. It refuses to read practically any CD/DVD - it just keeps spinning and spinning for ages. If I try long enough, it finally does read the CD but it's just impossible to work like this.

So I bought an external DVD drive - a USB 2 one of course. Since it's been 2+ years since it had a reinstall I thought it a good time to do so now and so I inserted the recovery CD that I got with my Acer Aspire 1703SM. I boot up, it just goes to Windows. I go to BIOS, put CD ROM at the top of the boot order, external devices second spot, and reboot. Again, it goes to Windows.

So, miffed off that it won't boot off my external DVD drive, I insert the DVD into the drive a hundered times until it finally accepts it and lets me read it. Fine, I reboot, and ... it boots into Windows, aaargh! It used to boot off the CD since I reinstalled it like that before.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea how I can restore the hard drive to factory "pre installation". On the recover CD is a program called ghostro.exe and an image file which contains the hard drive image. Is there a way I can extract that file to the hard drive? Or a way I can get it to run from CD?

On the CD is also an INI which contains:

[RYCD Info]
Part No.=DT.ZNL01.ZR9
Description=WINDOWS XP HOME SP1A NL
Creation Date=2003/3/7
Creation Time=2:42:23
RC Version=RC1

[Model1]
OS=WINXPPER
IMAGE=WXPNLPER.IMG
CHECKSUM=WXPNLPER.LOG
Lang=NL

[DT.ZNL01.ZR9]
SWZNL02099=I:\XPPERSP1\NL

[CRC]
Exec=acer\tools\ghostro.exe
CMD=-sure -crc32,action=verify,src=1:1,crcfile=%Log%,vlist=%Ram%\OScrc.out

Thank you for any help.

Associate
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
For a usb dvd drive, their should be an option in the bios to "boot from external drive".

There's no such option I'm afraid - only external device or something like that, which lets you boot off a legacy disk drive.

Is there at least any way I can access the files in the img file?

Associate
OP
Phnom_Penh said:
That should do it ;).

How? I tried it, but it just booted up in Windows XP anyway. It did read my disk drive, and did read my USB DVD drive, but it won't boot from the CD.

EDIT: gah, it DOES boot from the DVD drive, just not from the CD I need it to boot from :S. The Knoppix DVD I tried works fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom