Laptop optical drives and imaging

Associate
Laptop optical drive replacement?

I've had it with the optical drive in my Rock Pegasus 650 laptop. :mad:
It was replaced a few months back under warranty and now this replacement drive has become unreliable. It won't recognise DVD-RAM discs and I've created a few DVD+RW and DVD+R coasters while trying to image my hard drive with Terabyte's Image For Windows (a great imaging app btw). I got an image successfully written (and byte-for-byte validated) to a DVD+RW disc but it won't read (restore fails at 99% read). I got another image written to a DVD+R disc and it validated OK but this disc won't show up in WinExplorer and the drive head makes an awful noise while seeking. I tried this disc in my desktop DVD drive and that had the same problem trying to read it so it could have been a bad disc but I suspect the laptop's drive heads are out of alignment.
It doesn't seem to have any problems with reading and writing to CD's and reading DVD-ROM's so at least I can still install apps.

I could send the laptop back to Rock again (I'm in my 3rd warranty year) but I really don't want another Matsushita UJ-825S drive so I'm looking into a suitable and superior replacement. I've had a quick look at the laptop optical drives available on OcUK's site
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=10&subid=952
and they're surprisingly cheap so can anyone recommend which one to get and are they relatively easy to fit?
I realise I'll be voiding my warranty if I go ahead so I'm a bit hesitant.

Another option (to evade voiding the warranty) would be to get a USB external HD and use that for imaging purposes but again I'm bewildered at the choices available.

Last edited:
Soldato
You do know that Rock are/were in administration? (iirc they've just been bought by Stone)

I have a Matshita 845s in my lappy and have never had a problem :p. Personally I'd just upgrade the drive, I don't believe it would void the warranty :confused:. You'll need to check whether its height is 12.7 or 9mm (and whether it's sata or ide, but it's panasonic so it's probably ide). I'd go for a Sony Optiarc 7913 (not sold by OcUK) it's expensive, but a beast or the cheaper 7633.

Associate
OP
Rock seem to be back on track now but I'm still reluctant to send it in and end up with another identical drive and now I know how easy it is to replace I'd like to go ahead and get something better but not too expensive.

I just took ALL the screws off the bottom cover only to discover the drive is held on by ONE screw and it just slides out :o
When I picked the laptop up from Rock the last time I had this drive replaced I was told by one of their staff that they're quite tricky to replace :rolleyes:

The drive is a slot drive (no drawer) - model Matsushita (Panasonic) UJ825-B (the OS reports is as a UJ825-S) +5V, 1.6A.
The case thickness is around 12-13mm and it has one connector slot about 1" wide at one corner - is this a standard fitting and size for laptop optical drives?

Any more recommendations?
There are only 3 drives on OcUK's site that will take DVD-RAM discs and one of these is quite expensive - Sony Optiarc BC-5500A.
The case thicknesses aren't specified either.
I'm tempted to get the Sony based on the one review posted but I have no need for Blue-Ray. The other drives are a snip at just over £20 - Samsung SN-S082H and LG GSA-T20N (I've never heard of LG). Are either of these drives any good ie. better than the one I have or should I aim for something more expensive - I don't want to end up with another lemon.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the pointers benjo :)
I've read a few reviews of the Sony Optiarcs and they're very good. Conversely, I've come across lots of moans and grumbles in posts about Matsushita drives which has convinced me to bin it once I get a new drive up and running.

re. the one's you've recommended:
The 7913 is a slimmer drive at 9.5mm (height or thickness) and the 7633 is 12.7mm. Both drives have lightscribe.
My current drive is 12.7mm so as I don't need or want lightscribe (I have a lot of unused discs that aren't compatible for lightscribe), I'm leaning towards the Sony Optiarc AD-7630. I just need to check that it will be a straight swap ie. same connector and mounting bracket, etc.

Associate
OP
Fitted a Sony Optiarc AD-7630 to my laptop today. The job was simple but I had to cut away a small rectangular part of the drive fascia at one corner so it would fully slide into the laptop's case slot - no big deal and I did a neat job of it.

Everything's OK now and ALL my burnt discs are readable again (including DVD-RAM).
I'm about to burn a couple of recently backed up hard drive images to DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM for testing but I don't see any forthcoming problems. I have great confidence in this new drive :)

Also bought a Simpletech 250GB USB hard drive (very portable, light and stylish) so I have no excuses now for falling back on ancient backups for restoring :)

Back
Top Bottom