Laptop overheating

• Thread starter Deleted member 11679
  • Start date

Deleted member 11679

Deleted member 11679

Over the past year or so I have noticed my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop getting hotter and hotter in the bottom left corner of the unit, right where the palm of my left hand sits when typing. At first the issue was very minor and did not cause issues, then, last summer it started to overheat to the point where the system shutdown.

In recent months, particularly recently, it seems to get hot pretty quickly when I am working with it and I am now concerned.

Whipped the back off it last weekend and it looks like the culprit is the Notebook hard drive, its a standard 2.5" drive made by Fujitsu and is 80Gb. If I swap this drive will I notice a substantial come down in internal heat within the laptop?

Very concerned as I have a lot of important stuff on this laptop, and even with backing up I don't want to lose it!

What are the alternatives to replacing it?

Thanks for any advice in advance,

Tom

Deleted member 11679

Deleted member 11679

OP
Ok, shall I rephrase. If I put a new laptop hard drive in, will it be cooler than my existing one? Or do they all run at extreme heat?

Suspended
depends on how many rpm the disk is (although i may be wrong), if its 7200 you could downgrade to a 5400, would make a difference in search times but would decrease the temps a bit. only alternative i can think of is your standard laptop coolers, cost about 335 for a good one and cool the lappy down a fair bit

Soldato
I would think the first thing to do would be to check for non-running fans & blocked air intakes- If it can't get air in then the drive will heat very quickly. Also, if you are using it on a cloth surface (Tablecloth/ lap?) then try it on a a wood or similar surface, as I've found that the fans on my laptop tend to suck the cloth up and get blocked.

As long as the noise level hasn't changed, I'd be doubtful that the drive is at fault.

Finally, I suppose its the old adage- If it aint broke, dont fix it ;) - My Tecra S1 displays similar symptons, & while the motherboard was replaced twice in the first year it has now been running perfectly for a year.

-Leezer-

Back
Top Bottom