Laptop owners with Intel Pentium M CPU's..

Soldato
Was just wondering what kind of temps your getting with the Pentium M processors?

Just debating whether to apply some Arctic Silver 5 onto the CPU or not.

My Pentium M 1.73GHz seems to idle at around 45oC (web, office etc) and hits around 65oC when loaded (running Super Pi for example).

Just interested in what other people are getting temp wise.

Airflow is a bit tricky with a laptop.:p

My laptop is a Dell too but an Inspiron 630m.

Only airflow I've got is a small intake air vent underneath the laptop near the CPU area.

I believe that when idle the CPU cooling is completely passive. I can't hear or feel the fan. Only appears to spin up when the CPU is undersome load.

Is that the same with yours?

Actually, I just ran the same Super Pi test that I did to get the first set of temps, only this time, I held the laptop in the air. Temps never went above 60oC.

Currently got my laptop on a table with some think plastic cover on it, so its probably pressing against and obstructing the air hole underneath.

Last edited:
Decided to apply some Arctic Silver 5 and glad I did!

Idles at around 35oC and when loaded with something like Super Pi load temps hit 50oC! So a noticable improvement for a 5 minute job.:)

Laptop is much quieter now.

The CPU fan used to kick in around 45-50oC. This was quite evident during boot up and browsing some flash heavy sites. Can't even hear it now.

Default thermal material on there was some kind of silver foil pad. Whatever it was, it done a pants job.

Whats that other heatpipe in the picture? Is it for the GPU?

Mines only got the CPU heatpipe and thats it as my graphics is the Intel integrated version. Might be why mine fan isn't spinning. One less component to cool.

Actually, I say it isn't spinning but I'm not 100% sure. Can't hear anything as I assume its off.

Back
Top Bottom