Laptop temperature...

Associate
I've got an Acer Aspire 7750 laptop with a Core i5-2410M CPU. It's a dual core, running at 2.3GHz with a turbo boost to 2.9GHz.

Anyone know what kind of temperature range is normal? Mine seem to sit at 40c at idle, 50c on light load and up to 70c maxed out. The fans come on from time to time but are almost never on full power - it's a relatively quiet machine.

Airflow out the back has not been great since new (it's about 6 years old) - there's a small dribble of warm air out of the exhausts. I've used a can of compressed air to remove all traces of dust build-up etc, and there's nothing blocking anything. I've got some Arctic Silver that I could apply to the heatsink to replace the factory stuff but wondering if it's actually worth it - do these CPUs/laptops just run hot?

Thanks...

Soldato
I've got an Acer Aspire 7750 laptop with a Core i5-2410M CPU. It's a dual core, running at 2.3GHz with a turbo boost to 2.9GHz.

Anyone know what kind of temperature range is normal? Mine seem to sit at 40c at idle, 50c on light load and up to 70c maxed out. The fans come on from time to time but are almost never on full power - it's a relatively quiet machine.

Airflow out the back has not been great since new (it's about 6 years old) - there's a small dribble of warm air out of the exhausts. I've used a can of compressed air to remove all traces of dust build-up etc, and there's nothing blocking anything. I've got some Arctic Silver that I could apply to the heatsink to replace the factory stuff but wondering if it's actually worth it - do these CPUs/laptops just run hot?

Thanks...

When I took apart my (much older) Acer 6935G, there was a thermal pad between the heatsink and the CPU - it's possible it could have been paste at some point but it was more rubber than paste when I took it apart. Could be the same for you which is causing the temps.

The fan inside and metal heatsink near the exhaust vent was also clogged something vicious which I don't think I'd have been able to clean by blasting it with compressed air from the outside.

Might be worth just stripping it down and chucking some paste on and removing the dust.

Back
Top Bottom