Laptop to replace 1080ti/6700k @ 5ghz rig

Soldato
Hi all,

I’m looking to get a laptop to replace/compliment my desktop PC.

I currently have a 1080ti and an i7 6700k running at 5GZ.

I require something to use downstairs for gaming and I cba to move my PC, I’ve been using my steamdeck for this purpose so far, but it’s not really powerful enough compared to my desktop so I’m looking for something as powerful or more powerful than my desktop PC.

I’ll be using the laptop with external peripherals mostly, a good mic, keyboard mouse and headphones and an external monitor.

I was looking at the 2023 ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 cause I liked the idea of being able to play on it and watch UFC/Boxing on the extra screen, but it occurred to me that if I’m using an external screen it would be cool to be able to close the laptop and put it out of the way whilst I’m playing without thermals being impacted. That one also has a 4090 which is appealing, but would require purchasing on finance cause it’s £4000.

I saw the Rog Flow which looks cool cause you can fold the keyboard out of the way and still use the built in screen, but it only has a 4070 and I have no clue if that would be an upgrade from my current rig.

My current screen upstairs is 3440x1440 and downstairs is 2560x1080, I don’t have any plans in future to need a higher resolution.

I guess I could throw a couple of grand at this in terms of budget or more if I finance it.

Anyone have any solid suggestions please?

Thanks,

Guru

Last edited:
if the budget is ONLY for finance... that gets tricky. There's about to be a LOT of 4080/4090 equipped laptops around (maybe a month or 2 away yet to be fair) for around £2K as folks ditch before 50xx laptops arrive (that they'll then be buying).

You might well be able to get something that suits in this sort of realm. Paypal does a 3 month interest free/various timescale payments if that kinda thing is UTTERLY required. £4k isn't going to get masses more, maybe a 180 to 240hz screen, maybe a slightly bigger nvme, maybe a better keyboard/etc but it's generally in that order of magnitude difference for about twice the price new. Even 139xx to 149xx CPU isn't leaps and bounds different (generally a '22/23 release to a '23/24 one).

Just... needs some care on where/who you buy from.

If you go new... Alienware are one of the best chassis this year, even sneaking ahead of Lenovo legion otherwise (who are still fine). The Asus stuff is... fine but the usual overmarketed, average gear and UTTERLY, UTTERLY DIRE "FU, WE HAVE YOUR MONEY NOW!!!" levels of customer support apply.

Spec wise... you'll definitely be able to hunt down:

13950hx/14900hx (or similar AMD, rarer though), 32GB, 1/2/4TB Nvme, 120-240hz 15.6-17" beyond 1080p screen with a 4080 (4070 desktop) 4090 (4070ti desktop) GPU for about £2K.

Most/all of these will have thunderbolt. You sound to be in a very similar usage setup I had so to add - if you put ANY proper thunderbolt 4 hub in the mix (not a dock/expander/etc, look for a 3/4 port TB4 HUB) plug all your old desktop peripherals/screens/etc into that (plug a USB hub in for keyboard/mouse/headset etc) and you have a 2 cable docking solution when you do get to take it upstairs to the big screen(s). 1 TB4 cable and the laptop power lead.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick response, it looks like the Alienware can be configured with from a 4060 to a 4090, do you have any idea which would definitely be an upgrade from the 1080ti?

Also I read some horror stories about the intel cpus, is that only with desktop cpus? Or should I try to avoid them in a laptop too?

Thanks,

G

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom