laptop, usb and ipod problems, PLEASE HELP!

Associate
Hi,

Im trying to install my ipod onto a Toshiba laptop and its not working. Its not recognising my laptop.

My laptop is a Toshiba Equium A60.

Ive researched on the internet and found out that there is an issue with Toshiba laptops and Ipods, the problem being that the ipod needs more power than the laptop is giving out.

I know your all thinking now, just get a powered usb hub, but that is more money, and i dont really want to do that.

While i was looking around the internet i found out that someone had just disabled there usb2 ports and got their ipod working.

So... how do i know which are my usb2 ports? In device manager it doesnt say anything about USB2.

Here is a link to a screenshot of device manager - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/edwardcasbon/sshot.jpg - as you can see, i have no idea which is which.

Any ideas?

I just want to be able to unenable them so i can try to get this working.

PLEASE Help me

Thanks in advance,

Edward

Soldato
edwardcasbon1 said:
Hi,

Im trying to install my ipod onto a Toshiba laptop and its not working. Its not recognising my laptop.

My laptop is a Toshiba Equium A60.

Ive researched on the internet and found out that there is an issue with Toshiba laptops and Ipods, the problem being that the ipod needs more power than the laptop is giving out.

I know your all thinking now, just get a powered usb hub, but that is more money, and i dont really want to do that.

While i was looking around the internet i found out that someone had just disabled there usb2 ports and got their ipod working.

So... how do i know which are my usb2 ports? In device manager it doesnt say anything about USB2.

Here is a link to a screenshot of device manager - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/edwardcasbon/sshot.jpg - as you can see, i have no idea which is which.

Any ideas?

I just want to be able to unenable them so i can try to get this working.

PLEASE Help me

Thanks in advance,

Edward

USB 2.0 is listed in device manager as "Standard enhanced" while USB1.1 is "standard". You can normally change the USB version Via the BIOS on your laptop.

Soldato
Hiya,
I've got mine working perfectly with a Tecra S1 (Crummy laptop on its 3rd mobo, but still). As I understand it, & have found the laptop gives enough power to connect the Ipod & transfer stuff, but will not charge, indeed runs the battery down. Try it with the Ipod itself fully charged and see what happens.
You might also want to consider a 3rd party Ipod management app- I use Anapod Explorer, and have found this to be a lot less picky than Itunes.

-Leezer-

Soldato
Charge it to the max with the plug & try again. You might also want to see if you can find someone with a desktop to format it for you- I must admit I've never tried formatting it with the lappy ;)

-Leezer-

Back
Top Bottom