laptops advancement this year?

Associate
OP
oh they do look very nice!
altho a lot of people say they get very hot, and the battery life is limited?
are they ddr3 or ddr2 btw?
thanks.

ansered that myself they are ddr3 :)
seen one revue of this laptop and someone menctioned that if you fully open the screen it will block the air vents at the back and with the heat problem it can cause it to crash if watching a dvd or on a game.
has anyone exsperanced this? also people say that a 9cell battery will give 7hours life in powersving mode, will this battery just slot in the old slot? and how much do they cost on average?

Soldato
Overpriced but very nice regardless, I'd like one.

I'm at uni, with a massive desktop that I can't carry anywhere. I'll probably get an nc10 near the end of september to take to lectures. Anything over that is faster than I'll need at the cost of weight, price and lower batter life.

edit: ion based netbooks should be with us soon, not sure I've seen one yet though

Associate
think everyone would like one but i simply can't justify spending more money when i can get something which is the same or better for cheaper. :p

how much you looking at for the macbook pro mate?

Soldato
with a higher education discount the newly priced macbook pros actually work out about a tenner cheaper than a same specced dell xps 13 :eek:

Associate
OP
think everyone would like one but i simply can't justify spending more money when i can get something which is the same or better for cheaper. :p

how much you looking at for the macbook pro mate?

im thinking of getting eather the basic 13'' model with 4gb of ram or splashing out and geting the 2.5ghz model. also add another 40pounds and you can get a wifi printer/scaner ace :D

i bet some people will be buying them and formatting them so they only run windoes now there good value compaired to some other 13'' laptops, now that would stop people complaning about value :)

Associate
ansered that myself they are ddr3 :)
seen one revue of this laptop and someone menctioned that if you fully open the screen it will block the air vents at the back and with the heat problem it can cause it to crash if watching a dvd or on a game.
has anyone exsperanced this? also people say that a 9cell battery will give 7hours life in powersving mode, will this battery just slot in the old slot? and how much do they cost on average?

It does get toasty, no doubt about that (not uncomfortably though). The battery on mine lasts around 2 and a half hours (keep the screen bright and wireless enabled), up to around 3 and a half in battery saving mode.

The 9 cell will just slot in the battery bay but will make the laptop a bit bulkier (not the same size as stock 6 cell). If you do manage to source a UK supplier let me know as im very interested in one as well.

Man of Honour
Look at something used - this wont apply to you now as it was 2 years ago but I bought a used Dell D620 instead. It was in mint condition, had a T7600 2.33Ghz CPU with 2Gb of ram (Which even today is hardly a bad spec, 2 years on) and cost about the same as a brand new ultrabudget laptop, yet I ended up with a well built, reliable business class machine which is pretty portable as well. The benefits of getting a business class machine are also:

a) It wont play games so you wont be tempted to **** around on WoW instead of doing work
b) They are better built
c) You can buy businessy accessories for them (Just bought some modular batteries to boost my battery life to circa 20 hours for my flight to Oz, you cant do that with a cheaper/home spec laptop).

You also save money which can be spent on things which matter as a student ;)

Back
Top Bottom