Laptops and mains power

Soldato
Hey

A quick question regarding running laptops with a mains cable plugged in. Is the battery being constantly topped up by the mains supply whilst being drained as normal? Or is the battery bypassed completely?

Thanks

Man of Honour
As far as I am aware the battery will be constantly topped up although this probably will only kick in once it has dropped to say 99% full. If you are going to leave your laptop permanantly connected to the mains and your power supply is relatively stable then I'd disconnect the battery.

Soldato
Btw, just in case you are not aware, it is recommended to drain the battery every so often to keep ot in good shape. I should have learnt that 3 years ago; my laptop was always on mains. Now my battery has got a lifetime of 0 minutes. :(

Caporegime
On some devices the battery is bypassed. For example a ups has power running through it all the time but it isnt being charged otherwise the battery would get ruined. Most portable things are usually like this, so you dont have to keep taking the battery out when you use the mains.

Associate
Energize said:
On some devices the battery is bypassed. For example a ups has power running through it all the time but it isnt being charged otherwise the battery would get ruined. Most portable things are usually like this, so you dont have to keep taking the battery out when you use the mains.

how do you find out if your laptop is capable of this?

Associate
Energize said:

I've never seem a laptop do this. Which I can't understand unless they are fleecing everyone for batteries.

Back
Top Bottom