Large increase in migrant workers.

The effect of the minimum wage which has created the arbitrage.

I was quite shocked recently at this reality when I paid a visit to a gym in Chelmsford. Each morning outside was a group of 20 or so workers waiting to be picked up for work. All migrants waiting to to be picked up for causual labour work.

I remember seeing this on something, I can't remember what it was though, just that it was set in America. I never thought it actually happened for real. :o

One could also argue that the free movement of labour throughout Europe created this situation too because without the cheap source the situation you highlight could not have been created.

I think they should execute Jeremy Kyle before reforming the welfare state this much we can agree on.

I can find myself agreeing with this in principle, but this owul donly really hold water if there was no minimum wage and empolyers were jsut looking for the cheapest exploitable workforce they could get their hands on. With the introduciton of minimum wage, free movement of labour is almost irrelevant as a native will get paid the same as an immigrant (legally). So it has to come down to the fact that the natives are not prepared to do some jobs at minimum wage or think they are 'too good' to do it and would rather take the equivalent in benefits ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...igrant-workers-but-UK-unemployment-rises.html

I am confused, we keep hearing that there are no jobs out there when it appears clearly not to be the case.

Why can immigrants find work yet the natives can't?

Where this jobs openly advertised?

I think thats a lot of the problem with the jobs market, is you need to sign up with multiple job agencies and a lot of the time if you fall foul of them you will be locked out of employment. Want to fix the native unemployment level? Outlaw job agencies, have all employers by law advertise all job vacancies in the local papers or benefits office. At the moment job agencies have a monopoly on the jobs market.

Last edited:
This, plus they come with less tattoos, better education and manners.

Fewer tattoos.

It's really difficult for British people to get jobs at the moment, if an employer is ramping up their team size they'll inevitably turn to an agency to provide them X employees who will have been recruited in eastern Europe, and will have accommodation close to the employer and/or transport set up for them.

The problem is particularly exacerbated for young people, the pervasive nature of multi-culturalism means that we have spawned a generation who speak Multicultural London English (MLE) which put off employers who will generally be from the middle classes. I have to wonder if someone who speaks Polish with a lower class accent would put off potential employers in this country?

In recent times we've seen more and more businesses relocate away from expensive towns and cities to out of town locations. So unless you're recruited via an agency and get nearby accommodation set up for you, how do you get there if you live 5, 10, 20 miles away and are young and the job is minimum wage? Can't drive because insurance premiums are too expensive, train fares are too expensive and only go to the centre of towns and cities, bus services to these places are infrequent or non-existent or being cut, cycling is dangerous and you'll probably have your bike nicked anyway.

Undoubtedly declining state education standards are part of the problem, imo this all started back when I was at school in the '80s and early '90s. We got told that spelling and grammar didn't really matter (despite being in the top set) - err guess what? in the real world it does. We had a uniform, but got told it didn't matter if we didn't wear it properly - in the first year a kid wearing trainers would be sent home, by the fifth year around 50% of kids were wearing them. Discipline ceased to be a priority in schools. Subjects for the less-academic children such as horticulture, child care, woodwork, metalwork all got cut and the kids told to do Maths, Science, English, Geography and History instead. Needless to say, teaching someone who was only ever destined for unskilled manual labour about the Repeal of the Corn Laws became a struggle for teachers.

Edit: One other thought still relating to my school days, the policies of selling off school playing fields and permitting unchecked growth in junk food has resulted in lots of people quite frankly being unfit to do manual labour.

Last edited:
Fewer tattoos.

//

The problem is particularly exacerbated for young people, the pervasive nature of multi-culturalism means that we have spawned a generation who speak Multicultural London English (MLE) which put off employers who will generally be from the middle classes. I have to wonder if someone who speaks Polish with a lower class accent would put off potential employers in this country?

In recent times we've seen more and more businesses relocate away from expensive towns and cities to out of town locations. So unless you're recruited via an agency and get nearby accommodation set up for you, how do you get there if you live 5, 10, 20 miles away and are young and the job is minimum wage? Can't drive because insurance premiums are too expensive, train fares are too expensive and only go to the centre of towns and cities, bus services to these places are infrequent or non-existent or being cut, cycling is dangerous and you'll probably have your bike nicked anyway.

You mean we have a problem with the youth wanting to adopt an LA 'gangsta' style to life in both dress, attitude and speach because they think its cool. That is predominantly a parenting / schooling failure if the youth of today want to emulate predominantly 'black gangster' culture.

Where this jobs openly advertised?

I think thats a lot of the problem with the jobs market, is you need to sign up with multiple job agencies and a lot of the time if you fall foul of them you will be locked out of employment. Want to fix the native unemployment level? Outlaw job agencies, have all employers by law advertise all job vacancies in the local papers or benefits office. At the moment job agencies have a monopoly on the jobs market.

Are you really blaming the likes of Monster.com ?

Its easy just to say that 'the natives' are lazy. Maybe its that perception that makes employers take on 'foreigners' rather than 'natives', that and they can get away with paying them minimum wage because the wages in their own country are ****.

Last edited:
You mean we have a problem with the youth wanting to adopt an LA 'gangsta' style to life in both dress, attitude and speach because they think its cool. That is predominantly a parenting / schooling failure if the youth of today want to emulate predominantly 'black gangster' culture.

Yep, the white man has become the black man as David Starkey said. This isn't a parenting/schooling problem, it's society's problem.

Are you really blaming the likes of Monster.com ?

I thought he might be refering to the high street ones, Adecco, Brooke Street etc etc I cant remember their names.

They are scum though and another reason why lower paid and Temp jobs are hideous. When an Employer is paying £12 an hour to an agent and the worker receives the minimum wage. Another Parasite in the chain. :D

Well that was my experiance of them.

Yep, the white man has become the black man as David Starkey said. This isn't a parenting/schooling problem, it's society's problem.

You quote him as if he's something more than a pompous idiot. Anyone who thinks white somehow means good, and black somehow means bad is a complete and utter idiot.

If you were operating a business, would you rather pay more to employ native workers?

Where do you draw the line though? The government are currently planning to build the HS2 line from London to Manchester. It would be significantly cheaper to get Chinese labourers to do the unskilled work, like how they built the railways in the USA. If you were the government would you allow that?

Where do you draw the line though? The government are currently planning to build the HS2 line from London to Manchester. It would be significantly cheaper to get Chinese labourers to do the unskilled work, like how they built the railways in the USA. If you were the government would you allow that?

Government funded projects - no I would use native workers due to the inherent politics involved.

Private sector - I would use whichever represented the best economic value.

Doesn't sound like a recipe for social harmony to me.

I didn't say it would be. Private organisations should not be expected to do anything but select the contractors/tenders/etc that represent the best economic value.

Back
Top Bottom