Large increase in migrant workers.

How many of those complaining about being unable to get a job are actually looking?
If its lack of qualifications holding people back why don't they go and repeat things they did badly in?

They don't because sitting at home while being paid to watch jeremy kyle and have 9 kids pays better than most jobs.

How many of those complaining about being unable to get a job are actually looking?
If its lack of qualifications holding people back why don't they go and repeat things they did badly in?

They don't because sitting at home while being paid to watch jeremy kyle and have 9 kids pays better than most jobs.

We have a winner!

I remember seeing this on something, I can't remember what it was though, just that it was set in America. I never thought it actually happened for real. :o

The effect of the minimum wage which has created the arbitrage.

I was quite shocked recently at this reality when I paid a visit to a gym in Chelmsford. Each morning outside was a group of 20 or so workers waiting to be picked up for work. All migrants waiting to to be picked up for causual labour work.

Neither did I. I only when I saw a van pull up and a bloke just pilled a few in back and drove off I realised.

As Castiel said, it happens a lot.

You have a lot of workers in Southall who will wait to be picked up and do a days work.

You can get a set of workers for really cheap to do a lot of menial jobs.

I didn't say it would be. Private organisations should not be expected to do anything but select the contractors/tenders/etc that represent the best economic value.

...within the relevant regulatory framework. It's the job of government to decide what that regulatory framework should be. It would be illegal for a private enterprise to import Chinese labour as I suggested earlier, therefore there is an expectation that they don't do it. In my opinion, the regulatory framework should have limited the numbers of migrant workers from eastern European countries when the EU expanded, the consequences of not doing so are starkly evident.

I'm a law student and know that I will probably spend 6 months to a year trying to find a job after I graduate, and this is in London. If I was in some small town in the North of England I wouldn't even want to think about it.

But a lot of people talk about unskilled work, skilled/manual labour, okay, there's a lot of young people in this country who could train to do this job, show me how does a a young man or woman would support himself with no help from his parents to learn how to be a plumber or carpenter? You people forget that a lot of these "young people" who are unemployed get absolutely no support from their chav parents who could care less about them after their child benefits are stopped. Which puts them in a state dependent position through no fault of their own. As for unskilled work, I don't agree with people going on benefits instead of working, but when a single mother can earn more money being at home looking after a couple of kids why the hell would she work 40 hours a week ?

Do people realise that many of these foreign workers on minimum wage not only pay no tax but also get rent & council tax rebates so contribute absolutely nothing to the UK economy. Instead they add more pressure on local schools, hospitals & housing.
At the same time the UK citizen that should be given the job sits at home on benefits so it's a double whammy with two people for each job getting benefits whilst making no contribution to the UK economy whatsoever.

When will our governments actually get the message?

a lot of it is why bother training an apprentice plumber , electrician , joiner , carpet layer , tiler etc when you can just get a migrant worker who will be paid about the same money and already know the job.

where gonna have a massive skills loss in this country

Do people realise that many of these foreign workers on minimum wage not only pay no tax but also get rent & council tax rebates so contribute absolutely nothing to the UK economy. Instead they add more pressure on local schools, hospitals & housing.
At the same time the UK citizen that should be given the job sits at home on benefits so it's a double whammy with two people for each job getting benefits whilst making no contribution to the UK economy whatsoever.

When will our governments actually get the message?

How do they avoid paying tax?

Unrelated to the topic, but related to job creation in the UK, i have noticed recently a massive rise in stupid requirements to do basic jobs.
I mean, theres part time office cleaning jobs in our local paper with "5+ years cleaning experience required" which is just daft.
Likewise - a local spring factory is advertising but only wants people with 10+ years experience on a construction line ... its a bloody spring factory, i did work experience there yeaarrrss ago and its easy as pie.

Do people realise that many of these foreign workers on minimum wage not only pay no tax but also get rent & council tax rebates so contribute absolutely nothing to the UK economy.

Source?

At the same time the UK citizen that should be given the job ...

Why should the UK citizen be given the job? Sure, if the UK citizen is more qualified or better value then yes, but just because they're British? No.

but when a single mother can earn more money being at home looking after a couple of kids why the hell would she work 40 hours a week ?

My sister in law's had a little one a while ago, now she's not single (living with the father) but it shows how messed up the system is when, if she stays at home, they are upwards of £200 a month better off.
She wanted to go back to work but its just impossible financially to do it

My sister in law's had a little one a while ago, now she's not single (living with the father) but it shows how messed up the system is when, if she stays at home, they are upwards of £200 a month better off.
She wanted to go back to work but its just impossible financially to do it

it never used to be like that untill Labour started with their great benefits bribery bonanza. People should be given incentives to go back to work, not to sit at home watching TV and eating doughnuts

it never used to be like that untill Labour started with their great benefits bribery bonanza. People should be given incentives to go back to work, not to sit at home watching TV and eating doughnuts

The current govt made a big deal out of it and how they were going to fix the system.
All thats happened is that, under Labour the in-law was £60 a month better off staying at home then she is under the new government.

So she's still unable to go to work, and ends up worse off either way then previous.

I wouldn't call that fixing the system at all, politics fail :(

but when a single mother can earn more money being at home looking after a couple of kids why the hell would she work 40 hours a week ?

That's the problem in England and the Government needs to fix it. People breeding and think its ok to stop at home and depend on the Government to give them money for support instead of supporting their kids themselves and setting an example.

Yes, they do.

And even if they didn't, that would be no different from a British worker not earning enough but still using government funded resources.

My sons Polish girlfriend aged 24 on minimum wage earns just under £200 a week in a packing job, she gets most of her rent paid & full council tax benefit of £22 per week, her rent is £80 per week of which she pays £30.44p

So lovely girl that she is she gets £72 per week in benefits but pays minimal tax & insurance

Back
Top Bottom